NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's your oldest AP?

nytecam

Poking around today for a lost gadget and came across this pic - probably my oldest surviving eg Comet Mrkos '57 plus 30' scale. Notes on back read..

"Mrkos Comet [disc 2/8/57] - [taken] 16/8/57 @ 10.45BST low in NW sky ...exp 7sec @ f/4 HP3 [ilford B&W film] developed in Micrcophene 13min @ 66F; enlarged x25".

The f/4 aperture suggests it was my first 35mm camera eg a simple Finetta [inset] with 43mm fl f/4 interchangeable astigmat lens - very crude by today's entry cameras :rolleyes:

So how far back do your astro pics go? :laugh:

post-21003-0-08522900-1352479004_thumb.j

Poking around today for a lost gadget and came across this pic - probably my oldest surviving eg Comet Mrkos '57 plus 30' scale. Notes on back read..

"Mrkos Comet [disc 2/8/57] - [taken] 16/8/57 @ 10.45BST low in NW sky ...exp 7sec @ f/4 HP3 [ilford B&W film] developed in Micrcophene 13min @ 66F; enlarged x25".

The f/4 aperture suggests it was my first 35mm camera eg a simple Finetta [inset] with 43mm fl f/4 interchangeable astigmat lens - very crude by today's entry cameras :rolleyes:

So how far back do your astro pics go? :laugh:

Halley.....the most recent apparition, that is.

Chris

It's not AP but a mate and I made a series of sketches of Jupiter during the 1975-76 opposition. We had a borrowed 60mm Prinz refractor which we poked out of my bedroom window !. It was my first observation of anything other than the moon.

The sketches show a surprising amount of detail for a small aperture scope, especially the later ones as our young eyes became trained to pick out the more subtle detail. We don't appear to have seen the Great Red Spot though so either it was one the wrong side of the planet each time we observed or the scope was not able to resolve it (more likely !).

It was a rather magical few weeks - I've stuck with the hobby but my mate has not :rolleyes2:

Archived