Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How hot should a dew heater get?

If you can get it so fine tuned that you barely feel any heat at all, but it's enough to clear your optics, you've tuned it good. Remember, you only want a few degrees, more temp will screw up visuals and very much heat and you risk fractures (although a regular heater should be incapable of this if properly installed).

I never use them but my understanding is that you use them on a 'just enough' setting. the idea is not to warm the optics but to keep dew at bay. t do this the optics should be close to but marginally 'warmer' than outside temps. if you are observing at -5c then the scope would not get warm.

I never use them but my understanding is that you use them on a 'just enough' setting. the idea is not to warm the optics but to keep dew at bay. t do this the optics should be close to but marginally 'warmer' than outside temps. if you are observing at -5c then the scope would not get warm.

That is my understanding, but I'll know more if I ever get to try them :(

Love the avatar by the way. One of my favourite comedians!

My dew heater at full pelt gets warm-ish, nowhere near hot. When I have it a bit lower at a level that normally keeps the dew at bay it hardly feels warm when I take it off, but it's nowhere near as cold as the scope tube.

I was expecting the heater to be warmer but it does the job brilliantly. :)

My dew heater at full pelt gets warm-ish, nowhere near hot. When I have it a bit lower at a level that normally keeps the dew at bay it hardly feels warm when I take it off, but it's nowhere near as cold as the scope tube.

I was expecting the heater to be warmer but it does the job brilliantly. :)

Having tried it last night, I would say mine hardly gets warm to the touch. That's comforting to hear.

I got a couple of dew-not strips today, but I was too tight to pay for a controller :D They're quite low power anyway so I think they will be ok run on full power. The heat is spread over such a large area, it wouldn't be much I think. And rough calculations show if I drop it to 9V as opposed to 12V (which my powertank also does) that'll almost half the power.

I also use the astrozap dewshield and controller and it doesn't get hot but it definitely works. I only use 2 settings, off and full (maybe I should be more critical but it doesn't cause me problems so far)

Just checked the dew shield, it draws about 2A at constant 13.8v on my ac psu i.e. just over 27watts on full

I use the same Astrozap dew strip with my CPC800, and I was also surprised that I couldn't detect any warmth at all. It works, though! I also have a small Astrozap strip for my 2" EPs, and when I put my eye to the EP I can detect some warmth, which gives me some comfort that the strips are indeed doing something! Also, with the two strips on at once they ran down my 20Ah power pack very quickly, and I needed to upgrade to a leisure battery as a result!

Well I can now report, the heater works. Takes time to clear the corrector from fully misted (10 minutes) and on 75% it keeps it clear for a night's viewing.

Just need to sort the eyepieces now..... oh and the guide scope and the imaging scope :-)

Does anyone know if I need both a 1.25" heater and a 2" for eyepieces? Or will the 2" do both?

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Another method is to make a heater for the diagonal itself or make one out of nichrome wire that wraps around the eyepiece receiver in the diagonal. Either way saves having to change the tape over every time you change an eyepiece :)

Archived