NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Securing (i.e. bolting down) a roll-off shed?

Drakester

Hi All,

I looking for some inspiration for bolting down my (imminent) roll-off shed when it's not in use, so that it doesn't blow away during stormy weather.

It's basically going to be a pent-style shed mounted on rails, which is sat on paving stones on a lawn.

I'm thinking ground screws, or weights..? a bit stuck for ideas really.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

You need something to hold down each corner which presumably will be outside the roll off shed? I would be looking to sink some concrete anchor type eyebolts into concrete blocks (under the paving slabs?)

I have 8" Thunderbolts holding my obsy corner posts down, there is an eyebolt version too

http://www.tradefixdirect.com/anchor-bolts/thunderbolts-eye

Then make sure the shed is securely lashed to these. Wire hawser & turnbuckles would work.

I never bothered to fix my roll off shed down and I never had trouble with it during some very high winds - although if something like storm/hurricane force winds were to be forecast I would remove the scopes anyway.

Having said that my set up has some shelter in the garden so that helps a great deal.

I've decided to keep mine attached with turnbuckles for peace of mind about both wind and thieves - I decided I wouldn't fancy explaining to my insurance company that actually the roof wasn't secured.... :rolleyes:

Helen

I never bothered to fix my roll off shed down and I never had trouble with it during some very high winds - although if something like storm/hurricane force winds were to be forecast I would remove the scopes anyway.

Having said that my set up has some shelter in the garden so that helps a great deal.

My site's too exposed to take that chance- I live in constant fear of coming home to find the roof gone!

Dscf4950.jpg

I never dreampt my heavy wooden roof would lift off in a high wind but it did! :eek: I think the shallow apex shape acted like an aeroplane wing and produced lift and the roof was sucked upwards into the sky. It was deposited upside down on our boundary fence some 20 yards away. No wind could have got underneath to lift it so it was purely suction from above. It was in daytime and I was in the obsy adjusting the scope at the time. I was flabergasted and shocked!

Roof-off-3.jpg

This is the sort of thing I've done at the corners - this shows the dividing wall between scope room and warm room. These stop the roof lifting when closed and I use a bolt to hold the roof (and end wall flap) in place so that the wind cannot blow it open. The pin is from a farm gate latch and is galvanised iron. The eye bolt is of the same material with a welded eye and also farm equipment. It's very strong.

1. Latch pin engaging with eye bolt
  2. Showing eye bolt in framework of dividing wall frame and warm room roof joist
  3. Showing the latch pin fixing outside the roof just under the mini gutter that takes the rainwater onto the warm room roof when closed.

post-13131-0-69357300-1353336648_thumb.jpost-13131-0-12218800-1353336642_thumb.jpost-13131-0-92948400-1353336656_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Very important to have your roof secured! I use a similar method too, I have four, one on each corner of the observatory.

We're in quite an exposed possition and here and we've had some incredible windy weather over the last couple of years and the roof has stayed put, and it's probably just down to those hooks!

post-19671-0-53718600-1356084802_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Archived