hi

jasont68

hi all i am new here please be gentle !

i live in chatham kent and i am looking to buy my first telescope, ideally i would like to get into astrophotography but really have a limited budget

all advice greatly appreciated

thanks

jason

Welcome to SGL.

The bad news is that astrophography and limited budgets don't really mix, but if you're willing to put in the work and your budget isn't too small then you're not completely stuck. If you search for some of stan26's threads particularly you'll see that he's doing quite well with some fairly low-end kit and a large bagfull of ingenuity.

James

Hi there and welcome!

Astrophotography is expensive. Don't let that stop you from getting a scope to start observing with. You easily take stunning pictures of the moon and jupiter with a relatively limited budget if you put some effort into it, fainter objects require a motorized mount that tracks the sky though. There are a ton of alternatives to chose from, but a newtonian telescope will give you the most aperture for the money, and if you get a cheaper mount now (like a dobsonian) you can always save up for a EQ mount for photography later.

Like Todd837 said, seek out your local society, they can help you by giving you an idea of what each setup is like.

There are two good books on the subject: Turn Left At Orion for general observing, and Make Every Photon Count for AP.

Best of luck out there in the dark!

Hi Jason and welcome to the forum. Astrophotography doesn't have to be expensive but it really depends on what it is you want to do. Imaging the solar system (moon & planets) can be done from virtually any scope via a simple webcam. The idea here is you choose the best 'frames' from your webcam exposures, stack them on top of each other to make a final composite image. Imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae require an accurate mount to track the objects long enough to capture sufficient faint light or 'data' to construct the final image. There are means and ways of imaging but the key thing is to develop a technique that produces consistent results otherwise you will always end up chasing your tail by having to constantly correct different aspects of the imaging train. A quick glance in the imaging section and particularly members equipment list will inform you of what generally works. Imaging is now increasingly popular so buying used kit will first require a little research and a quick eye to spot a bargain as and when they appear. :smiley:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived