Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

High Powered Eyepiece

darn i forgot rizzi was in india, see thats the net for you, we are all so close but yet so far in some cases :smiley:

lol its Bangladesh, its a country beside India. That's exactly like mixing up Wales for England...

sorry whats OP?

yea I think I'll be going for the TMB planetary 4mm I think. it seems the most reasonalbe at the moment considering everything, from being very new to stargazing to the fact that I can't readily get eyepieces lol

Thanks alot everyone. You have no idea how much wiser you've made me in this field! Hopefully once I gain more experience in viewing the sky I'll get proper nice eyepieces :D

Thanks again for all your advice everyone :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea I think I'll be going for the TMB planetary 4mm I think. it seems the most reasonalbe at the moment considering everything, from being very new to stargazing to the fact that I can't readily get eyepieces lol

Thanks alot everyone. You have no idea how much wiser you've made me in this field! Hopefully once I gain more experience in viewing the sky I'll get proper nice eyepieces :D

Thanks again for all your advice everyone :D

Sound choice :)

Saturn does take magnification well and 217x is possible, but it just depends if you want an EP that you may not get to use that often. 200x is more realistic and I think upping the magnification won't necessaily show you any more detail. I'd stick around the 150x to 200x and learn to pick out features by spending more time at the EP, training the brain and eye to what is being seen and gradually tease out the features under the compromise of scope and viewing conditions. I don't own a fast scope, so looking at this theoretically, it might be an idea to buy a more comfortable 7mm with decent eye-relief (a BST or X-Cel LX - which I highly recommend) an EP which would show up the beautiful wide-field possibilities of an f5 and be very useful on Jupiter, the Moon etc and then barlowing it for my work on Saturn. Just an idea :icon_biggrin:

An excellent post, full of quality information

Infact I think I'll be see it much clearer than this because I simulated it on Jupiter with a 10mm eyepiece in Stellarium and my views were far clearer than on Stellarium...and Saturn moves much faster than Jupiter it seemed, but this drifting away movement is what I sort of really wanna see and experience (it moves way slower than I imagined it would!)

Be careful, Stellarium doesn't simulate atmospheric effects at the eyepiece. There will be some nights when 217x will work perfectly well and other nights when it won't work at all. Beyond our control, nature decides. Sadly the 'will work' nights are heavily outnumbered by the 'will not' work nights. Hence why a number of folks said there was the risk a 3mm eyepiece would spend a lot of time in the eyepiece case.

For the price of the 3mm William Optics you could almost buy two TMB clones, say the 3.2mm and the 5mm (or 4mm). The 3.2mm would give a nice 203x, while the 4mm would give a very usable 163x. The 5mm gives 130x, this would be usable every night of the year.

well winter nights here in this part of the world are full of crystal clear skies (but there is light pollution) because there is hardly any rainfall and hence little or no action in the sky in that respect. i can see the orion's belt with my naked eye now, so in a month's time im guessing the skies will be much clearer.

Winter is great for transparency, nice dark clear skies but its actually the summer that provides the better planetary conditions with steadier seeing. I didn't realise this until recently when reading a Damien Peach article.

So those crystal clear skies are due to excellent transparency but that doesn't always translate to good seeing, which is crucial for high power planetary viewing. More often than not a transparent night will be great for deepsky but hopeless for planets. It's all more complicated than it initially seems.

The Stellarium ocular doesn't give an accurate picture of what you will see in your scope, especially when you up the magnification.

Absolutely - don't be guided in your choice of eyepiece by a computer program. Take the advice of those that have tried these things under real viewing conditions.

I think you are in danger of getting seduced by the prospect of high magnification and loosing sight of the real aim which is a crisp, contrasty image.

can you make out that saturn has a ring with a 8mm vixen?

You sure can. You can also see the bands around Jupiter.

Even more of a challenge when you live in Bangladesh as the OP does and presumably can't switch eyepieces quickly and easily as we can if your initial choice does not suit.

OK maybe i missed something, but what does living in Bangladesh have to do with being able to change EP's quickly?

Yes. We literally don't have anything in this country that sell anything related to stargazing. Therefore I have to rely on people coming from the UK or me visiting the UK for eyepieces. Hence I'm getting a 3mm William optics from First Light Optics. The only thing im worried about is that whether the image is gonna look out of focus :huh:

Yes. We literally don't have anything in this country that sell anything related to stargazing. Therefore I have to rely on people coming from the UK or me visiting the UK for eyepieces. Hence I'm getting a 3mm William optics from First Light Optics. The only thing im worried about is that whether the image is gonna look out of focus :huh:

.... Hence I'm getting a 3mm William optics from First Light Optics. The only thing im worried about is that whether the image is gonna look out of focus :huh:

The WO SPL 3mm is a nice eyepiece. If the image is out of focus it would be due to seeing conditions not being good enough to support the high magnification or possibly the scope being out of collimation, I would think.

Archived