NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Smokey Chimneys

MikeWilson

Just when I get an evening off and it's beautifully clear outside AND the overlooking multistorey car park has it's lights turned off..

..one of my neighbours starts their VERY SMOKEY fire..

:angry4:

I remember last time I went to see my wife's parents in the countryside, I brought telescope and they decided to have a nice warm fire (with billows of smoke) in the front room.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I was set up yesterday to view the Moon and Jupiter, and i had to contend with my own houses heating outlet, and next doors, so all the steam. I couldn't decide if the images were jumpy due to atmosphere or the steam, i think it was a bit of both in the end. Not ideal, but i couldnt set up anywhere else to actually see it.

just come in from a night of fireworks (loud enough to make my scope vibrate), bonfire smoke, chimney smoke, thermals :icon_redface: but on the plus side, at last the guiding the has gone really well tonight :laugh: gotta go and lay down now to de-stress :rolleyes:

will have a few thank you's to say tomorrow on here for all the help!

Just when I get an evening off and it's beautifully clear outside AND the overlooking multistorey car park has it's lights turned off..

..one of my neighbours starts their VERY SMOKEY fire..

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have a feeling that this may become more of an issue with the price of gas and electricity soaring upwards.

I have the following problems with observing in my garden;

1) LP from neighbours, interior lights beaming out of opened curtain windows all night, halogen discos and flashing 200 LED lights...

2) Smoke from chimneys (people have got to keep warm!)

3) Passing car headlights on full beam (people have to go out and about!)

Remote observing has a lot of plus points! :D

All true,

And it makes me glad to have an 80mm refractor and HEQ5 :-)

Even with a limited view of the sky, it's possible to do a little bit of visual and observing. Might have to get an SCT/Mak for planets, then!

All the best,

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have four woodburners here and all the images you've seen taken here (at least the winter ones) have been with some or all of them running. No big deal, I think. However, the house is west of the observatories, the stoves are efficient double combustion types with tall chimneys and they are warmed up before nightfall. I did wonder about this in the early days but it has never been an issue. Maybe, also, because it is very cold here in winter when the sky is clear the heat rises and clears very fast. Whatever, it has not been a problem. This includes imaging at 2.4 metres, which you'd expect to be susceptible.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=1793797527&k=WMbNhhG

Living in a town and observing over neighbours roofing, is one of the reasons I can't seem to get on with planetary imaging.

Visual seems fine as does DSO work, but currently Jupiter washes around like it's in a shower. Gets better as it gets higher in the sky or viewing later in the evening / morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived