Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finder Guider Opinions

sulaco

Morning Folks,

Having tried to get my finder guider to work successfully using an unmodded Toucam pro and a Logitech 4000, it's only worked well once and i have come to the frustrated conclusion that it just isn't going to happen, focus is one issue then there's the noise.

Has anyone had continuous success with this setup or is it a case of a false economy of time?, the standard appears to be the QHY5 so i'm assuming that is the logical way to go otherwise i'll continue to set up my kit and get zero imaging done due to getting the finder guider working.

The QHY5 is a cheaper route than using a Lodestar or a Titan, but both this only require a USB lead for power and connecting to a PC, there guiding is direct from the CCD to the ST4 connection via a short supplied lead and only PHD software to operate from......less bits to go wrong one would hope.....

I have used basic unmodded webcams for guiding but a bright star is required, I have used two guiding systems, one is a webcam attached to an ST80 and the other is attached to a 9x50 finderscope again a bright star is required otherwise a waste of time. The ST80 is on a finder mount so can move it off axis of the SW200 quite a bit whereas the finderscope can be moved moderatly. I have now moved on and the main guider is the QHY5 on the ST80 though I still have a webcam attached to the finderscope. Like all equipment you find it's limitations and when you want more I'm afraid you have to move on or do with what you have. The webcams worked well and have given me good service, to achieved the best from them you have to play about with the options and once achieved, note down. Hope that is of some help :).

Jim

Thanks for the feed back, my kit is all hooked up to my dual booted imac running windows 7 and the usb is 10m long and attached to a powered usb hub. When connected to PHD i get a lot of noise in the image, maybe the QHY5 is the best bet, i just don't want to continue to was my time if it's not going to be reliable.

Thanks for the feed back, my kit is all hooked up to my dual booted imac running windows 7 and the usb is 10m long and attached to a powered usb hub. When connected to PHD i get a lot of noise in the image, maybe the QHY5 is the best bet, i just don't want to continue to was my time if it's not going to be reliable.

Presumably your 10m usb lead to the hub is an active lead? 5m is normally the recommended maximum length for a standard lead

I was going to get a ST80 for guiding. And a QHY5 with ST4 port.

Must admit, those Altair Astro 10 x 60 finders have great reviews and I need a new finder as well. Would this make a good guider as well? So I'd insert the QHy5 nose-piece into the finder guider and connect the USB from the QHY5 into my PC and the ST4 direct to the mount?

Also, thinking of a Guide Cam that could double as q good planetary camera as well - an upgrade from the SPC900. Happy to pay more for such a guider if it could double up as such. What do you reckon? That could be going off-topic so may post as a new question.

So I'd insert the QHy5 nose-piece into the finder guider and connect the USB from the QHY5 into my PC and the ST4 direct to the mount?

Yes that is the layout but you would need the correct adapter, the one for the QHY5 to 9x50 is a T Thread Adapter from Modern Astronomy @ £28 delivered, I ordered one Fri so should be with me on Mon. This will be my third adapter for the 9x50, already have the C Thread and the 1.25 so costing me some :).

Jim

Must admit, those Altair Astro 10 x 60 finders have great reviews and I need a new finder as well. Would this make a good guider as well? So I'd insert the QHy5 nose-piece into the finder guider and connect the USB from the QHY5 into my PC and the ST4 direct to the mount?

I use the AA 10x60 finder guider package (I bought the complete package from AA rather than the finder seperately and the adaptors) and it works well as both a finder and a guider. I use a QHY5 with it and I've never failed to locate a guidestar yet. I am sure that with the guider and an adaptor from Bern at Modern Astronomy for example, you'll have a good guider. Yes the QHY5 connects via USB to the PC and then using the ST4 cable, that goes directly to the mount.

Archived