Smoke Damage?

Hi all

New member here, hoping for a bit of advice.

I've recently moved house and on the couple of observing sessions I've had in the new garden have noticed that the neighbours pump a lot of peat smoke out of their chimney. There is a very strong smell of it anywhere in our garden, so I'm assuming a fair amount of it is settling on and around where I'm observing.

Should I be concerned about this damaging my optics? I've paid a vast amount of money for my scope (Celestron CPC1100) and am very protective of it! Hope someone can tell me if I'm being over-sensitive to this or if I'm worrying with good reason.

Thanks for any help

May I suggest you put a piece of white carboard outside when the fire is burning and see what gets deposited on it.

If there is any signs of smoke deposits then I expect you will get them on your mirrors as well.

If the deposits are not hot, then I would not think they would do much damage.

Dont be tempted to do to much mirror cleaning as you would be suprised how dirty they can be and still get good visuals.

I am sure there is plenty of advice on here about cleaning your mirrors if and when you need to to do it.

Pat

When that volcano in Iceland went up we were at Kelling and I noticed a thin layer of red dust from the atmosphere had formed on the primary of my dob - despite keeping it covered when not in use - but it wasn't enough to affect performance. How that compares to a peat fire next door I'm not sure - but if you do notice a layer on the corrector plate through extended exposure they can be cleaned using the correct materials and techniques. I've never taken a corrector plate off though so maybe someone else will comment on that. :)

I've tested for smoke deposits in the past when the local farmers were burning stubble, by cleaning a reasonably large mirror with a babywipe, leaving it outside for a couple of hours, and then cleaning again with the wipe always in the same position. If there's a significant amount of deposit, you'll get a grey or black zone on the wipe. Fire deposits are very tarry and stick like the proverbial, and can (so it is said) tarnish the mirror surface quite quickly.

Volcanic dust tends to be easy to remove in my experience with a jet of air from a photographic dust-removing blower.

Chris

I agree with Astrosurf - ring the Environmental Health dept of your local council.

I had a house near by that kept burning building materials "at night" to avoid taking it to the local skip - the burning roof felt turned the sky black.

I gave a call the the council and they stopped the people burning stuff - result.

Hi

You don't say what part of Scotland you're in. If it's in a smokeless zone, then that's rather naughty of them. If not, then they've got every right to heat their home with peat, coal etc, haven't they?

ring the Environmental Health dept of your local council

A visit from the above may not be the best way to introduce yourself to your new neighbour :cool: and could cause lasting 'damage'.

I hope I don't sound harsh with all the above, just thinking out loud. I DO appreciate the concern for your optics. I reckon you'll need to keep an eye on the corrector for deposits and may need to clean more often than standard practice, perhaps.

Cheers,

Andy.

You're right Andy. I did think after I wrote that, that speaking to the neighbour first is always best, and recommended by the council, and that's of course what I would do. The neighbour might be interested in a peak through the scope too!

Hi everyone

Thanks for so many quick replies, that's great.

I will definitely try the white cardboard test that some of you have suggested and see how that goes.

It sounds as though I don't have too much to worry about - I had read that smoke can cause serious damage to the coatings on the corrector plate so I was a little worried the neighbour's fire might be a problem.

We don't live in a smoke-free zone and their fire runs their central heating so I definitely couldn't do anything about it, it would be up to me to observe somewhere else if it could cause any issues for the scope.

Hi and welcome to SGL...

Like suggested in the first post, id cover your observing area with a white sheet or what have you. Im not sure about the chemicals the smoke contains, but i would try to limit the exposure to this smoke. If there is any dust in the air, and this is gathering on the optics, this dust could cause damage. especially if the dust is then dissolved in the dew, it may have acidic or alkali properties. Id be very cautious... I would search the internet, and see what chemicals are produced from the smoking peat.

Hope that helps

Keiran

Now that's a taste I can't get used to. Liking Laphroaig is meant to be the sign of an educated pallet - so I must have a pleb pallet.

Me too but it's reminded me of the bottle of Talisker I've put to one side (apologies for veering further off topic)

Archived