Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

cor blimey I won something

Stardust

Well this was a real turn up.

A nice chap from the Sky at Night magazine phones me last week to say that I'd won the prize draw for a Skywtcher 1145 at the Herstmonceaux Astronomy gig a few weeks back. I couldn't believe it as I just don't win anything, ever, not even the prize that no one wants in the raffle. I was quite chuffed.

Dave

Well done Dave. Nice to hear when a bit of good fortune comes somebody's way. Now, if the big golden finger wpuld just point at me come next Lotto, I will be as happy as Larry, whoever Larry is. :lol:

Have fun with the new acquisition.

Ron. :D

Congratulations.

I had a similar experience last week. I camped out a Kelling Heath Star Party for a couple of nights and did quite a bit of observing, a lot of goggling at the amazingly dark skies (I never realised the Milky Way went right across to Delphinus!) and a fair bit of ogling the amazing kit some peole have. Loads of people were taking amazing shots with some SERIOUS astro-imaging kit and some amazing picture being taken.

On the Saturday evening there were a magnificant pair of sun dogs visible for about ten minutes. I took a photo of this with my £47 compact digital camera and entered it in to the competition for the best picture taken at the Star Party.

Imagine my shock and stupification when I found out I HAD WON (a year membership of SPA)!

Now it's not that my picture was superbly framed (it wasn't), superbly exposed (it wasn't) or particularly beautiful (it's okay, nothing more). No, I won because my picture was unique. I won because no one else had entered a picture that was not of the night sky. I won because no one else entered a picture.... ...at all! I have absolutely no idea why no one else entered, but I'm not complaining.

Moral of this story - If your not in it, you can't win it.

Now it's not that my picture was superbly framed (it wasn't), superbly exposed (it wasn't) or particularly beautiful (it's okay, nothing more). No, I won because my picture was unique. I won because no one else had entered a picture that was not of the night sky. I won because no one else entered a picture.... ...at all! I have absolutely no idea why no one else entered, but I'm not complaining.

Moral of this story - If your not in it, you can't win it.

Now, that was fun to read! Congratulations, and to Stardust.

Archived