Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

stupid question ... I think :O)

Moon monkey

Yes it would - this gave me all sorts of grief finding my way around the New Zealand skies earlier this year - It is only when you see Orion upside down and Sirius leading that you can really confirm that you are on the other side of the World!

At least you asked the question correctly. :grin: :grin:

If you had put is as: Is the moon upside down in Australia then the answer would be No. :confused: :confused:

The moon does not change.

It just looks upside down because you are. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The only stupid question is the one you dont ask.

Yes the Moon does look upside down compared to looking at it from the northern hemisphere.

Its very strange looking indeed, but us astronomers are used to looking at objects that are flipped and rotated........

On my travels i have seen the Moon from various locations (all northern hemisphere locations) and the further south you go towards the equator, the more the view changes (not the face of the moon but the angle it appears to be sitting at). Quite strange.

post-5361-0-37155600-1349554305_thumb.jp

Ignore the above image of Orion. I was trying to show you how it looks "down under", but the forum software seems to have posted it in its northern hemisphere orientation.

To see it like our southern mats see it.......................stand on your head and have a look, LOL

I spent a lot of time working in Kenya and Zambia and seeing Orion's belt directly overhead is amazing. Seems really strange seeing Sirius blazing down from nearly directly overhead and following South you see Canopus roughly where we'd see Sirius.

Archived