Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which 30mm (ish) ep

gary1968

Howdy,

I have a 300p flextube and am looking to buy a nice widefield 30mm (ish) 2" ep for it.

It is, as you probably know, F5 and I would like it to be sharp across the whole FOV (or as much as possible) .

Reason is I like nice wide field views and I dont have an EP that cuts it for me in that respect. I looked at the SW Panaview but it is not suited for such a fast scope so have ruled it out.

I dont want to (cant) spend a load of dosh on this so the likes of Naglers and Ethos are probably out, hence looking at Panaviews.

What would be your recomendations guys?

I look forward to your replys.

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

Widefield and sharp across the whole field of an F/5 newtonian is difficult to achieve so the cost is quite high. If your budget won't run to the Tele Vue's then the WIlliam Optics UWAN / Skywatcher Nirvana 28mm, the Explore Scientific 30mm / 82 degrees or the Meade 30mm UWA's are the next stop I guess. They would be mostly sharp. If those exceed your budget then I feel that either sharpness across the field or wide field of view will have to be compromised to some extent and we are into the realms of Skywatcher Aero ED's, Baader Hyperion Aspherics etc, which are a step up from a Panaview. As you can see there is a cost / sharpness / field width "pecking order" here - I guess you need to decide where you would like / can afford to be in that.

If there was a lowish cost option to get wholly sharp and wide fields of view in fast scopes then we would all have one !

Have had a look around. At the moment I like the look of the Sw Aero's and Baader Asperic (although FLO is listing the Baader as out of stock just now). Not sure which of these 2 would be best.

The link Onesmallstep posted was interesting showing the Aero coming out on top in the SCT, pitty he aint got round to doing the test in the Dob yet.

I have also had the offer of a Meade 34 SWA, and am considering that just now.

Gary

I would agree with above. The 31 aspheric did not perform very well for me at that's at F7 - soft around the outer field. Unless you find a used lens, you might not be pleased unless you spend well over the £200 mark.

andrew

The Aero ED's are good for their price but sharp right across the field at F/5 won't come cheap. As Mr Spock says, once you get an eyepiece that is astigmatism free, you will then see some coma at the field edges with a fast newtonian.

Well it looks like you folks are in favour of the 27mm Panoptic. My budget won't stretch to a new one so gonna bide my time and see if I can pick one up 2nd hand.

Thanks for the advice, as usual top notch and very fast.

Cheers,

gaz

A suggestion, although you will have to seek some views of others here, is the 28 SWA Meade - you will need to find out how people have found it at F5. They are generally a bit better than the usual alternatives. There is one for sale on here, you could PM Alan and gets his views, £95 for such a good lens could well tied you over. I have found the range to be excellent at F7 but below F5 will no doubt suffer. They are certainly a step up from the hyperion range.

Meade 5000 SWA Eyepieces - Classifieds - Stargazers Lounge

andrew

I vote for the Moonfish 2" 30mm with my 6" F8 dob. Really sharp edge to edge with no light drop off. A wonderful piece of kit.

Al.

I gave Gaz a shot of my Moonfish 30mm and like in my f4.7 there were only sharp stars in the middle. It is a good eyepiece but just not in short focal ratios unfortunately.

My 27mm Panoptic is a great match for my 300p F5(ish some say 4.9?) flextube. Great views plus performs well as a finder eyepiece, with pin sharp starfields across the field of view. Worth holding out for a second hand one in my opinion.

Yep - the Moonfish is a chinese clone of the Japanese KK Widescan III 30mm. That eyepiece (the Japanese version) was fab with an F/10 scope but pretty awful when things got faster than F/7. At F/5 most of the outer 50% of the field of view comprised of "seagull" shaped stars !

Archived