Hi from Gloucestershire!

Planetesimal

Hello and welcome - how funny, I grew up in WUE! Good skies round there as long as you avoid the glow from Bristol :smiley:

Hi and thanks Siriusmeg... We moved to WUE about 3 years ago, and finding somewhere with access to dark skies was part of the remit!

I'm not doing too badly for the night sky thankfully - I face northwest out back so Bristol is on the other side of the house for observing anyway, and it's all farm fields from behind the back hedge for miles. So I get a good chunk of sky from my garden - not so good for anything in the southeastern sky though, but you can't have it all! :smiley:

My biggest light-related problem is the massive security floodlight in my neighbour's back garden that bathes his, mine and several other gardens in a blinding white light if there's so much as a puff of breeze - I'm quickly learning that you need phenomenal patience in this game, and it's not only the clouds you have to worry about! :icon_frown:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome. I read a forum the other day that talked about flood lights from neighbours gardens and the concesus was if you explain why you need the dark most people are understanding. You could also invite them over for a look through your scope. It sounds like you did not have to wait to long for clear skies which is a blessing. Usually as soon as you open that box out come the clouds.

Enjoy your dark skies

Marc

Hello and welcome. I read a forum the other day that talked about flood lights from neighbours gardens and the concesus was if you explain why you need the dark most people are understanding. You could also invite them over for a look through your scope. It sounds like you did not have to wait to long for clear skies which is a blessing. Usually as soon as you open that box out come the clouds.

Enjoy your dark skies

Marc

Hi Marc, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and have that conversation today - it looks like there might be clear skies here tonight!

HI & welcome to the SGL :smiley: im a newbie to i dont have a scope yet so im using binos at the mo :bino2:

Hi Stellawolf. I'd love a pair of binos - no set up and a nice wide fov would be a great advantage. I find I use my widest fov EP by far the most. Also I dropped my Barlow in the damp grass and I don't dare try to clean off the crud (cleaning kit on its way from FLO though!).

Look at that, I'm already going nuts on the acronyms!

Hey and welcome.

I'm just down the road in Chip Sod but I reckon you've got the better skies!

Hi Ant. If I can convince my neighbour to do something about that floodlight you may be right... On a moon-free night I can see the milky way from my patio!

I imagine you must have some good dark sites nearby in Wiltshire though!

Archived