Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Going low tech on Albireo

Caught this image last night even though there were loads of clouds about.

image.jpg

(Click to biggerise)

I had the Tal set up with a Toucam to use K3CCD Tools to do a drift align following a pier modification. The drift align technique allows for stars getting blocked out by clouds as you just wait for a hole to see which way the star has drifted, so a good way to use a holy sky.

Once I'd got the alignment sorted (I think) I wondered how the webcam would fare on a coloured double, so I did the goto on Albireo and shot some AVIs.

Based on the Tal being f/8.5, this ought to be doable with a f/5 Newt. quite easily, and a short tube refractor or even an ED would get a brighter image, so Toucams can do more than lunar and planetary stuff.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Thats what I'd guessed. Anything a lot closer and I'd need to add a Barlow. The Toucam probably wouldn't work then, so no colours. I could go SC3 but that wouldn't do colour. A colour LX webcam is on the cards for this then I suppose.

I'll read a bit in Burnham's Celestial Handbook tonight and get a handle on some "average" doubles.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Nicely done KK. Tremendous outcome with the old Toucam. As a yardstick at magnitudes 3.2 and 5.4 with a seperation of 34.6 arc seconds.

It will give you something to work with as far as selecting future targets. Colours are very nice in doubles, but not essential.

Ron. ;)

KK

There isn't really a "normal"separation for doubles.

They go from Spectroscopic <0.1" to wide common proper motion (CPM) paires that can be 100+" apart.

There are plenty of bright doubles that are 10" apart so should be easy targets.

My camera can only do 2 seconds max exposure and with an 8" scope this can get to Mag 8

If you pick a few of the well known double they will act as a good starting point

Cheers

Ian

Archived