Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I bagged the big fella!

K3ny0n

Just came in from a very eventful and un-forgettable nights viewing.

I went out and set-up around 8.00PM, all was going fine until I got caught out big time by a lovely little rain shower which wasn't predicted on the weather forecast. I quickly shot the cap on and got all my gear in the house relativity un-harmed.

After I got in the house I checked the weather forecast again with some doubt whether to believe them but it's a funny game this astronomy stuff, you can never let a opportunity go, even if the forecasters get it wrong! Forecast for clear skies between midnight and 04.00AM with a very bright moon in the sky though but Ill take every chance I can get with the infamous British weather.

In the meantime I got the kettle on and had a few cups of coffee to pass a few hours.

I setup around 23.30PM nice and early for the clear skies, watched them pass away revealing lovely clear skies but with a pesky bright moon. Seen as though it was so bright I bashed in the moon on the goto (not that it's hard to find) and observed them moon for around 30 minutes. I then got the camera out and took a few shots of the moon.

I then noticed Jupiter creeping up from above the roof so again I asked the goto to goto. ;)

I looked through my new Starguider 8mm (BST) and there it was. My first ever Jupiter! WOW. Thats why I got into Astronomy. I was looking at 4 moons and one which was noticibly close to Jupiter, (later found out it was IO). I then watched it disapearer behind or infront. I seen the belt and even the big red spot.

All in all a poor viewing with the moon in the sky, but I dont care I seen my first ever Jupiter. All done in my back garden, by Me.

Rob.

Yep I got that first Jupiter wow last week - nowhere near as detailed as the pics you see, nowhere near as detailed as your view either, but like you say I saw it for real with my own scope and that's just something amazing. Puts a great big grin on your face doesn't it? Well done on the persistence too!

Well done Rob, I really enjoy hearing about first experiences like this, it brings all the excitement flooding back, next up for the "WOW" factor is Saturn which will equally blow you away. The moon gets a hard time because it is taken for granted, yet I always spend some time going back to it, it has plenty of features and makes for dynamic viewing over a period of time as the "Terminator" moves across it's surface revealing details and features due to the shadows cast. Get a good neutral density filter, which helps no end when viewing the moon, especially when it is at it's brightest/fullest. Look forward to hearing many more observing accounts from you in the hopefully not too distant future.

Thanks for all your comments. Very tired this afternoon, not much sleep.

It was truly amazing night last night I night I'll never forget.

I can't wait to see Saturn next.

I was looking at The Pleiades too, I thought they were nicknamed the "Seven little sisters" lol.

Rob

Congratulations on finding Jupiter !

My advice is to keep coming back for more - Jupiter's features and the 4 bright moons present an ever changing scene. There is always something going on !

The more you observe the planet, the more detail you will see.

So don't just tick it off and move on - It's the most variable and interesting (in my opinion) of the planets so it's well worth re-visiting, again, and again, and again ....... :smiley:

Well done k3ny0n, it really is a great sight. You picked a good time to view, GRS slap bang in the middle. I wasn't observing but checked my app and there was a shadow transit at the same time. Did you see a small black circle near (just to the left I think) the GRS? This was the shadow of Io if you did :D

As John says, always plenty to see and it is always changing, either the moons, transits, GRS or different surface detail.

Enjoy

Stu

I watched IO pass behind or infront of Jupiter! It was a great sight, can't wait to get back out there.

I wonder what my reaction is when I see Saturn. I can't wait.

Rob

My reaction tended to be along the lines of making a very quiet war-dance in the garden whispering "YES!!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!" ;)

My reaction tended to be along the lines of making a very quiet war-dance in the garden whispering "YES!!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!" ;)

Haha that's great, I ran inside the house an thought to myself everyone's in bed I'm the only one up. When I went back and looked a second time I think my heart stopped for a few moments!

Rob

Congratulations!!

Isn't it a wonderful sight? :smiley:

I remember last year when i saw it through a telescope for the first time, it blew me away!

I just had to drag the missus out of the house to have a look and even she was impressed, even though she has a zero interest in the skies! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a first timer this month with my scope and Jupiter sure is exciting isn't it?!!! First spotted it at low 26x mag and shocked how clear the moons showed up. They look red to me, but then im color-blind... Every viewing session since I have spent at least a short time studying it. Was so excited I started a sketch of moon positions so I could identify and chart them later. That has gotten addictive and keeping track has been real fun. Magazine has been handy to chart daily positions and now feel much more familiar with them. I now can mag up to 130x and get some good details on stripes though I have been struggling with average seeing. Had a real WOW two nights back when I was looking at Jup and a big jet fly through the view! It was huge!!!!!

This hobby is very rewarding and enjoy it all so much. Just need to limit expectations of British weather! But then you can stay warm inside and study up on your next subject. We found the Ring Nebula this week and that was a bit of a seach with my scope and seeing as it was. Exhilarating when you land on target!

Im also looking forward to Saturn but not getting hopes too high as it is much further and might not get much with my setup. Should still be eventful though!

I thought that I was the only one that did late night victory dances. LoL

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Im also looking forward to Saturn but not getting hopes too high as it is much further and might not get much with my setup. Should still be eventful though!

When Saturn comes round in the spring I promise you won't be disappointed.

Archived