Hi

nxrc

Hi SGL,

I'm starting to try and get back into astronomy, having studied astrophysics at degree level and then persuing a PhD in which I was studying solar phenomena. I've forgotten a lot, but I'm sure it'll come back eventually. I've been having a play with Stellarium too and believe I was able to identify Arcturas and Capella in the sky last night. The next thing I want to do is get a pair of binoculars so I can see more.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum, nxrc. I am very new here myself but can tell you already that you've come to the right place. With regard to binoculars, there are plenty of topics on the subject but the Helios Naturesport Plus and Opticron Aspheric WA seem popular. For value for money though, it's the Olympus DPS-Is that seem to be the ones to go for, particularly at Amazon pricing. I've recently ordered a couple of pairs myself!

Hi NRXC and welcome to SGL, have a look at Strathspey Binoculars, they provide an explanation of types, prisms and coatings, as well as producing quality products. Their 10x50 marine model is popular and came out top in an S@N survey some time ago :)

John.

Thanks all for the welcome and recommendations. I'd seen the Olympus ones you mentioned tehmonkie and indeed they're reasonably priced at Amazon. I'll have a look at those Stathsprey ones too :). I've been lurking here the past few days and have found some links to some good articles too.

Thanks again :).

Thanks to the others that have welcomed me since I last posted in this thread! I was going to start a thread about binoculars, but I suppose I can ask my question here. I notice most guides say to go for 10x50 ones and there seem to be quite a few models that are reasonably priced (like the aforementioned Olympus ones). My main concern is that I wear glasses and am short sighted, so would rather keep them on when observing. The guides I've read suggest more eye relief is better for those of us with glasses, so can I get a decent pair with good eye relief for under £100? I think the Olympus DPS-1s are lacking for eye relief aren't they? Amazon says 12 mm, though I think I've read you want at least 15 mm if you're wearing glasses. Is that a good guideline?

Thanks again!

Archived