NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 Andromeda Galaxy (AstroTrac)

x6gas

This is second light with my AstroTrac.

Andromeda Galaxy from Ag Nik in Crete.

10 x 120s subs, Nikon D40, ISO 800 with 85-200mm kit lens @ 200mm. Stacked and with small stretch in DSS.

Won't win any prizes, but I'm really happy to be doing some imaging on hgoliday! When I get home I'll try to clean up the egg shaped stars.

post-11821-0-85890300-1348384549_thumb.j

I often find my images look fine in PS but look a bit dfiierent when posted :( Even the same image viewed in MS Photo Viewer looks different from the posted image in Firefox. There was even one occasion where the image looked too red on here so I toned it down in PS, saved it again and posted it and it hardly looked any different from the previous uploaded image - weird!

Hi

I have just bought an Astrotrac and am a complete novice. Have managed to polar align quite well and my stars at 200mm focal length for a two minute exposure are reasonably round. What I can't quite get is how to find the Andromeda galaxy! even with a laptop and Stellararium showing me where it is I can't find it.

Any hints on how to find it?

Thanks

If its a clear moonless night its pretty easy to see with just 10x50 binoculars just star hop from the main stars beneath it and look for a bright foggy blob ;)

nice image by the way gradiants are a pain try it from a very dark site that will help

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

Well I must admit that I was at a fairly dark site with no moon...

But, I just followed Andromeda from Almaak to Mirach (the slight dogleg of the four stars including these and Delta Andromeda plus Alpheratz is easy enough to identify, and then I swung the camera up towards Caph in Cassiopeia and there it was...

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this will look any better, but I tried to see if I could get this looking any better.

This time stacked in AA 5, which I also used for gradient removal with a final tweak in PhotoPlus X4.

post-11821-0-71177900-1350244466_thumb.p

Archived