Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collimating Astrotrac

For those struggling to collimate there Astrotrac Polarscope (as I was), check the tube housed in the main body of the scope for flex and ensure it is the right way round.

today I removed the tube and swapped it around, this made ALL the difference, collimation was a breeze after this.

I have already swapped out the grub screws for thumb screws and remember to make tiny adjustments each time.

Also check it for parallax, mine had terrible parallax out of the box. And the collimation of the rotating polarscope arm, mine was significantly out when I checked it (fix = pieces of tape under one side or the other). Finally, get a couple of inches of pipe-insulation to prevent it dropping out every time you breathe too hard :)

Apologies in advance if you've already done all this, but I'm spelling out my own experience...

Cheers, Magnus

Archived