Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

huge fireball

Daniel-K

Given the "curly" shape of the trail, i am thinking that this was some manmade object that was spiraling on its way down and burning up in the atmosphere..............rather then a meteorite.

I tend to agree with the man made, I hate to say it like this and I am disgusted but I have nothing else to compare it with sadly, reminded me of Columbia.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any guesstimates of size from anyone? Silly I know but, we can but wonder. I reckon a large fridge sized Meteor. Hope it wasn't a Satellite after all this.

Well your typical meteor during a meteor shower is about the same size as a grain of sand/salt and they can be stunning.

What people saw tonight was big and fragments of it should have reached the ground...............

If it was a meteorite. I dont think it was.

Whatever it was, maybe fragments landed.

Maybe the "infamous

" tool box finally re-entered the atmosphere?

i am on the isles of harris outer hebrdies..watched bright light approaching.. then lit up island as it made very low pass, i could see it breaking up.took several pics, hope one comes out..skies up here very clear..at first i thought it was a helecopter, as it got clouser, wow...i am here with 8 inch reflector,..what skies..

I tend to agree with the man made, I hate to say it like this and I am disgusted but I have nothing else to compare it with sadly, reminded me of Columbia.

That was what my neighbour said. We were just chatting outside (Wirral) and got an amazing view. Looked like a huge firework from a pro display, travelling almost horizontally East to West as we looked North. One main projectile, trailing sparks, and pieces left behind, trailing sparks too.

Was just packing up on dartmoor after watching Jupiter come up and my son said "Dad whats that ?" My jaw just dropped it was the biggest meteor and trail I have ever seen . I watched it through an arc of about 150 degrees, 22.56 bst we saw it, you wait a life time to see some thing so spectacular and he saw it at 9. :)

So glad we saw it

Did anybody else's dogs do anything strange? My collie got up ears pricked right up and an excited look on his face, glad he did, I thought he needed a wee and let him out if the tent. Saw the green lit clouds and shouted to my wife to come out right away! She came out 15 seconds later and still daw plenty. IIRC, it was traveling at the height of Dubhe at 11pm gmt, must have been edge of atmosphere looking at it, nor sure where that would place it geographically, I am at kelling heath atm. Still buzzing from this!

Did anybody else's dogs do anything strange? My collie got up ears pricked right up and an excited look on his face, glad he did, I thought he needed a wee and let him out if the tent. Saw the green lit clouds and shouted to my wife to come out right away! She came out 15 seconds later and still daw plenty. IIRC, it was traveling at the height of Dubhe at 11pm gmt, must have been edge of atmosphere looking at it, nor sure where that would place it geographically, I am at kelling heath atm. Still buzzing from this!

I sent mine inside before the Mete, I think we should call if Jeff, got a good ring to it, before Jeff arrived, bit cold outside, didn't want him freezing (don't tell anyone I'm a bit of a softy).

It'll be very hard to distinguish between man-made and natural - the video is unlikely to resolve the body in question, and the majority of the light from an event such as this comes from the superheated air in the shockwave. It's not the body itself that glows.

If the entering body is irregular then it may tumble, but that won't differentiate between a satellite re-entering and a true meteoroid. If there's an explosive breakup then this is more likely to happen with a meteoroid than a satellite.

Hi! Am new to all this so be patient with me! Have read everyones comments about the green light and noted the different times it was seen which seem to start around 10pm.

I thought it was the police helicopter at first then realised there was no sound and colour of light was wrong! Followed its path across top of house and dashed to kitchen window to see it travelling quite slowly, horizontally and with a tail of golden sparks -just like a firework- that was 23.02pm - What did I see and how many were there?

Hello! I also saw this, from Derbyshire towards West-North-West, travelling roughly South-West, at 10:57pm.

My impression was that it was very distant, very fast & fairly large. It was 6 or 7 large 'embers' of various colours as I saw it, & fading.

This is not my footage, but I saw this on twitter, taken from Preston. It looks a little more fiery at this point, probably very shortly before I saw it, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

There is some cussin'!

http://twitter.yfrog.com/07l5tkggpuvoluavefdcaztrz

saw it coming from manchester, as it neared my house in macclesfield it dropped at a 45 degree angle, seemed to be about a mile away, travelling very slow, must have impacted the ground somewhre nearby, hopefully will hear more by tomorrow, amazing sight

Archived