SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

huge fireball

Daniel-K

Possibly a Aten Asteroid from a group of near earth asteroids that populate between the sun and earth

as it was on a very shallow earthgrazing angle which why it explains the long trajectory!

f2t86p289n2.jpg

This why i managed to capture it as it went right across me garden :)

f2t86p289n3.jpg

Wounder if we get any more as they quite few listed as aten's

2029 they pose impact threat.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a useful map Cliff. Someone started an SGL map showing locations where members saw the Venus transit. Might be a useful thing to do for the meteor to help show a clear track of its progress. I would do it but have no idea how to! Any volunteers?

Stu

That's a useful map Cliff. Someone started an SGL map showing locations where members saw the Venus transit. Might be a useful thing to do for the meteor to help show a clear track of its progress. I would do it but have no idea how to! Any volunteers?

Stu

Got map from S.P.A.M Doing all the investigatings

http://565012.xobor.com

Cliff, do you have plans posted on here for that cam setup you have. Wouldn't mind putting something similar in the garden.

That cam set up that was running when it captured fireball was

just cheap asda webcam one of these.

http://reviews.asda....ews/reviews.htm

David-Dickinson-Real-Deal.jpg

i modified it with different lens to more long view fov. i just broke away the plastic removed the original lens and made fitting so i can fit other lens to it then covered the cam in pvc tape keeps it water proof.

I put lens from old ps3 eyetoy to asda cams sensor.

no ir filter so cam see's infrared light.Photo0387.jpg

And just used motion detect software or time lapse software

i used Deskshare webcam monitor 5

i had motion detect setting senstivity set on level 3

only problem is when it's day light have to keep lowering the exposure control and when it's dark up the exposure slider.

You can do same with any webcam just check them see which has exposure control's

make little lens to them change lens if must some cams more sensitive than others just experiment. even attach cam from it's sensor to telescope.

They thread showing how to mod asda cam to telescope

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/146261-asda-293-webcam/

I just made skycam with mine.

and keep the software running all time on motion detect or time lapse.

Ideal to leave webcam outside all time rather than expensive digital camera.

That's a great link. He's done some very detailed modelling.

Quote: "I estimate that the fireball came to its closest point at 53 kilometers above the Earth", says Lyytinen.

My own estimate, based on the time delay of the sonic boom I heard, and allowing for a wide margin of error, was 40-80km altitude. Nice that I was able to get so close with just a wrist-watch and a back-of-envelope calculation. :smiley:

That's a great link. He's done some very detailed modelling.

Quote: "I estimate that the fireball came to its closest point at 53 kilometers above the Earth", says Lyytinen.

My own estimate, based on the time delay of the sonic boom I heard, and allowing for a wide margin of error, was 40-80km altitude. Nice that I was able to get so close with just a wrist-watch and a back-of-envelope calculation. :smiley:

'Scuse my ignorance, but I can't wrap my head around the physics of this. When did you start timing to get your estimate of distance away?

Archived