SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

huge fireball

Daniel-K

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I need some help here...

I'm on holiday and walking back to the hotel I saw a huge orange fireball as well. 8:45pm local time (so 6:45pm BST, i.e. not the one reported here). Heading from South to North ish... but I couldn't tell exactly the constellation and here's why: there was some thickish cloud around in this direction! So is it possible that I saw this thing below cloud level? The alternative is that I must have seen it between the clouds which I guess is possible, but it looked like it was in an area of sky that was cloudy...

I'd appreciate the thoughts of those that know more about this than I do...

I have never seen anything like this before, what an absolute treat. We were at the NLO in SIdmouth and saw many more small metiors than we usually do throughout the evening but this one - well just WOW! I saw it as a row of 6 or so glowing pieces - presume this was it breaking up.

Jodrell Bank are saying it's not been confirmed as either a meteor nor space junk yet. I reckon we'll have to wait till someone finds a bit of it wherever it landed (unless it landed in the sea). My minds still open on the subject but anyone who photographed it did a great job. Wish I'd seen it - just my luck .... ho hum.... :)

Jodrell Bank are saying it's not been confirmed as either a meteor nor space junk yet. I reckon we'll have to wait till someone finds a bit of it wherever it landed (unless it landed in the sea). My minds still open on the subject but anyone who photographed it did a great job. Wish I'd seen it - just my luck .... ho hum.... :)

What are they thinking it could be?

Well, I was up Cannock Chase last Monday on a Stargazing night with Stafford Astronomical Club and saw exactly the shame thing. Was looking up at Lyra at about 21:00 and it went straight in front of us in a south westerly direction. Lasted about 3 seconds. I suspect they are more common than we think. This was witnessed by about 30 ppl.

Question, as sightings have been recorded all over the country now, can it be determined whether it passed directly over the UK, or over the sea? If people in Scotland saw it (looking North or South?), and people down in Norfolk. I saw it from NNE near Leeds, exit unknown due to houses. I assume we will have to wait a few days for confirmation, just curious.

Randomgary, just watched the vid, really good footage, and your colourful commentary had me laughing out loud, very funny :D. You did really well to catch it so clearly.

Stargazingcliff, that's a really good capture too, your kit is working well isn't it.

Stu

Blimey.... Missed it myself, but saw it on the news this morning. Looked like debris from a plane explosion or something. Looked awesome. Congrats to the lucky people who were in the right place at the right time to see it for real.

I saw it at 10.56pm while setting up at my dark site in Northumberland. I was looking away from the sky and became bathed in strong white light which I took to be a distant car head-lamp, but in a matter of seconds the brightness very quickly strengthened then faded and began flickering, at which point I turned and saw the fireball moving SE to SW, above Aquarius and below Delphinius and Aquila (roughly on the celestial equator when due south). It consisted of countless cinders ranging in colour from white to orange and in size down to faint points, with a single small orange-white piece following a few degrees behind the main mass. I followed it all the way to the horizon where it was still glowing orange. Four minutes later, at 11.00pm, I heard a distant booming sound. I'm afraid I haven't read through the whole of this thread but I do notice that someone else mentioned a noise shortly afterwards (a possibility might be a sonic boom as it entered the lower atmosphere).

Great thread - missed it but still cloudy with me at the reported times - just typical!

Mind you, reading some of the posts I found it amusing what people were doing outside at that time (unless observing) - someone said they were sweeping another was hanging the washing out...At that time of night?? :)

well done to those that actually caught it on camera for the rest of us unlucky ones

Just saw footage on Sky and BBC - quite different to what I saw. As the object sank on the western horizon it looked to me like a small number of fading orange points (maybe half a dozen) which is what footage from Ireland shows, suggesting it had faded to this by time it got over there.

Archived