NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

16" dob price?

estwing

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think like most things it depends on the quality of the optics. you could buy a 16" mirror set for <£500 if you are going to need recoating and possibly improve the figure. you could make the truss dob system for maybe £300-400 and end up with a scope with good optics, coatings and figure for maybe £1200. or you can buy a good used 16" lightbridge for maybe £1000-1200 depending on condition. personally I went for a used good quality OOUK 1/8PV f4 mirror set, bought the tube and rings off the seller and then made a cell, bought a focuser and spider/secondary and made the base.

if I'd have bought the thing new it would have been between £3500-4000 but I ended up with the same thing for substantially less.

I agree. though I am a confirmed OrionOpticsUKaholic and tend to only buy their optics (used naturally). usually they cost a little more than average but well worth it.

you do need to be careful of coatings and optical quality at the bigger end but the LBs and SW are pretty good (I believe) as are Oldham Optical and John Nicol etc.

Keep your eyes open, don't rush into anything and you will get a good one.

Personally I think the mechanics are extremely important on a scope of this size. It should be a pleasure to use, not a chore. The superb views a scope of this size can give can be ruined if using it is a headache.

Archived