First view of the Milky way aged 34!

Just got back from a camping weekend in Hereford. First two nights conditions were perfect, cool and no moon. Went outside about 11 o clock and just sat in my camping chair and looked up. For starters the sheer amount of stars visable was incredible and then after about 20 minutes there she was arching across the sky. I sat in awe looking at the sky and had the mrs been awake I wouldnt have been able to tell her as I was speechless! It was amazing and such a rare treat because of light pollution. Definitely 1 box ticked on my bucket list.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the feeling....I was 20, in the army and was on desert training in .t Irwin California....could not believe how dark it can get at night at even though I only had maybe 8 hours of sleep in 48 hours, spent close to an hour looking in awe before going to sleep....welcome to the club :grin:

I know the feeling....I was 20, in the army and was on desert training in .t Irwin California....could not believe how dark it can get at night at even though I only had maybe 8 hours of sleep in 48 hours, spent close to an hour looking in awe before going to sleep....welcome to the club :grin:

sorry FT. Irwin

The good news is it never gets old! But maybe that's because we get so few opportunities to see it. I even had Mrs Seedy admiring it on our last holiday - and she seemed genuinely interested when I described the structure and why it appeared that way. Well that's what I keep telling myself anyway :grin:

Been milky way hunting a few times over the past year. Went to snowdonia national park in wales recently and although it was a really clear night and the stars were incredible, i couldnt see the milky way! what am i doing wrong??

The first time i seen it was when I was travelling in Australia.

Was camping along Great Ocean road in Victoria!

I was speechless also!

See it a few more times at a dark site in Scotland

But not as clear as Aus!

Who needs a telescope for milky way watching???

Gohan75, was the moon in the sky? Sounds a silly question but I went back out of the tent for another peak at bout 2.30am and the moon was almost full. It made a noticeable difference to the amount of stars visable. If t wasn't, then I dont know! I consider myself a newbie and bow to others superior knowledge who can probably explain why. I must have jut been lucky right place right time!

Congrats on your epic observation. I last seen the Milky Way 30+ years ago, so well overdue another encounter.

I know what you mean, though in my case it is nearer 50 years ago!! Used to live in a hamlet in the Sussex at the time and there the expression, 'couldn't see your hand in front of your face' was absolutely true. It is such a shame for everyone that it can no long be seen in the same way, now that there are street lights nearer everywhere. Went to a local beach with my son to walk the dogs which has a fairly dark sky and he got out of the car, said 'wow' and then laid back against a sand dune and just stared at the sky until we returned with the dogs.

39 here. Never seen it.

But I am travelling from San Francisco along Highway 1 to Los Angeles in late October and am stopping at Lucia Lodge en route... just so happens it's near a dark sky location (although I can't imagine it's bright around there compared to Northampton anyway!). I am really hoping for at least a glimpse of the Milky Way.

I feel so guilty being able to see the MW on any clear night all my life and have to admit (after seeing your posts from the UK) how I took the MW for granted all my life. Knowing now that some people are not blessed with its frequent appearance as I am, my heart goes out to you all.

My advice? By ANY means, get to a dark sky sight and suck in the MW and its wonders, with or without optical aid. Even as frequently as I see it, I will still look at it in wonder after concentrating on its beauty.

IMO, if there was any one thing any star gazer must see, its our glorious Milky Way Galaxy.

I guess I'm lucky, it's directly over my house every night. I spend hours staring and appreciating the beauty myself but I want to see northern hemisphere skies, just for a change.

Unfortunately, I have too much street lighting around my location but dark skies and a friends place are only 15 minutes drive. Now that Spring is here and my lens won't be icing up so much, I intend doing some more photography.

Here's a composition of 50 images (DSS) I took 2 or 3 nights back (lots of light pollution though):

MW_50_9-9-12_2.jpg

It's amazing how many people I know who ask me "what are you looking at?", some people just never appreciate true beauty!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this for the first time on Friday and it was a wood for the trees moment for me. Once I realised what I was seeing it was obvious and I could see it stretching right across the sky with light pollution from Glasgow being the only part where it was washed out...

I have never knowingly seen the Milky Way but these posts have made this something I will attemp. Stay close to Glasgow but must be able to get a viewing. Any suggestions re a decent dark sky site?

Hi and welcome to SGL

You're in luck, there's a dark sky site in SW Scotland (linky below).

http://www.gallowaynightsky.co.uk/

HTH!

The Milky Way is probably at its best late summer in the uk as I understand it. This year I've seen it in all its stunning glory at several dark sites but even though not as high contrast..I've now seen it from my own back garden in s Wales.im nearly 50 now how is it possible that I have not noticed in all that time until this year?

Just got back from a camping weekend in Hereford. First two nights conditions were perfect, cool and no moon. Went outside about 11 o clock and just sat in my camping chair and looked up. For starters the sheer amount of stars visable was incredible and then after about 20 minutes there she was arching across the sky. I sat in awe looking at the sky and had the mrs been awake I wouldnt have been able to tell her as I was speechless! It was amazing and such a rare treat because of light pollution. Definitely 1 box ticked on my bucket list.

Well it took me another 5 years to do the same and it was spotted in my back garden, of all places!

Over the years, I've more than likely looked straight at it many times previously, with no idea what I was looking at... :grin:

Been milky way hunting a few times over the past year. Went to snowdonia national park in wales recently and although it was a really clear night and the stars were incredible, i couldnt see the milky way! what am i doing wrong??

Not sure. Unless it had set. I first saw the Milky Way from a plane whilst viewing the Morthern Lights,

Archived