Hello all. I'm back!!!!!!

Hello to my good buddies on SGL. Been a long while as I had an eye operation in early August and have only been ok to start up again recently (not sufficient to use my scope yet though). I am still not fully recovered and need to go back in for a further eye op in a few weeks time. My lovely new C9.25 is sat there waiting for me anyway. Just need to get my eyesight back (hopefully in time for the dark nights).

Luckily I did have the opportunity to use the new scope once before I went into hospital. Unfortunately I had major problems with the scope dewing up (even with a dewsheild on). So was considering getting an Astrozap heater tape and controller. Is that the best one to get? I have no experience of this kind of thing. A bit cheesed off that after spending a fortune on a new scope that I now have to spend even more in order to be able to use it as it is pretty much unusable without some sort of dew supression system. I did read that large SCT's are susceptable to fogging up, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

As far as the build quality of the scope is concerned I was blown away. The mount and tripod all solid, heavy and chunky. The OTA is fabulous, although it was far larger that I thought it was going to be. I am going to have a bespoke flightcase made for it. There is a flightcase manufacturer close to where I live and they have quoted around £150 which I thought was ok. Excellent when you consider that Celestron charge £500 ish for their case for the C9.25 OTA. Outrageous.

If its a problem with the scope you want to return it to the shop, I bought a Celestron Nexstar 4se and the slewth not working correctly, its going back tomorrow for a few week, so no scope for me for a while :mad:

If its a problem with the scope you want to return it to the shop, I bought a Celestron Nexstar 4se and the slewth not working correctly, its going back tomorrow for a few week, so no scope for me for a while :mad:

:confused:

Nice one Malc, winter is long and dark so get well and the sky will be here waiting - hopefully with some better weather :eek:

These things are magnets for dew and it's a travesty that they're sold as is - maybe they proportionately sell a lot to people living in deserts LOL

Worse than needing just the dew shield, you'll probably want not only the heater tape but a controller too so you can vary the current to the tape http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/page/0/ I bought the single channel (not knowing any better) and have yet to figure out how much I need it cranked up. It has been pretty humid lately though :mad:

Hi Malc,

Great to have you back on the forum. I hope it's not too long until you are using that new 'scope of yours. I'm sure you will enjoy the views. Don't know if you got my message of 3.8.2012 regarding setting up the CG5-let me know if you didn't receive it and I can resend.

All the very best,

Steve

Thanks to you all and your best wishes. Much appreciated. Bought an Astrozap dewsheild whan I got thew scope, but it didn't even touch the sides. Was out until 2.00am one time waiting for Jupiter to make an apperance (with the help of Stellarium) and when it hoved into view above the houses the front of the scope had fogged up and rendered it unusable, so I packed it all up and brought it inside. Maybe it was an unlucky occurence, the fact that it was summer and there is more moisture in the atmosphere or my location (although I can't see that being the reason). Definately will get a heater tape and controller. Can't be bothered making one. I would rather buy one I think.

Hi Malc. Welcome back. Glad to see you are recovering (no pun intended). I have just bought an astrozap dew heater and a single channel controller for my 8" SCT after some great advice from people: "the single channel will work fine and is cheaper then the dual channel".

Welcome back Malc, good luck with your future recovery. A hairdryer will remove heavy dewing fairly quickly, keep the unit on the move in circles and not too near the corrector. If the dew is also on the inside surface warm the tube below the corrector level. A dewheater works best as a preventative measure. :smiley:

Thanks for the additional info, Peter. I'll give it a try when I am fully recovered and able to use the scope again. I hope you are up and running at the observatory after the break-in the other month. I will have to get over at some point as I only live in Halifax. I'll keep an eye on the website.

Welcome back!

I find I do not need a heater for my C8, except on very humid nights. I have an astrozap strip and a hitecastro controller, but have needed it once so far. You may have been unlucky, and used it under very humid conditions. Having said that, the hitecastro controller was cheaper than building your own (not so much the electronics, they are cheap, but the plugs, switches and case add up horribly.

Archived