Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

obsy floor

Daniel-K

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty thick flooring Dan, you expecting a nuclear war?

Not a bad price though.

Remember to make a few access panels, just in case you need to gain access under the floor for some reason - I had a rat (dead after I set poison) to remove.

I have three removable panels in my floor - to access the pier-to-desk cable run. I'm glad they're not 45mm thick, they would be impossible to lift out.

I think we used 18mm Far Eastern Ply for the floor with 4x2 joists at 14" intervals

http://www.diyclick2buy.com/item/18mm-8x4-shutter-ply/?from=/category/construction-timber/timber-sheet-materials/

They look good at that price, I think you could do away with a lot of floor joists. Nice find that's a great company for cheap materials and local too. I wonder how heavy they are, I have some fire doors that size and they are just about manageable,

Brilliant price for such thick Ply Danny, I can't imagine its marine ply for that price though, are you going to treat it? my obsy build is a shed conversion which came with 12mm tanalised tongue and groove floor to which I've added 6mm marine ply, so 18mm total, and this feels pretty firm under foot so far. I think I'm going to finish the floor with some ali tread plates like these:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/320917090049?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

so a total of 20-22 mm for the flooring with supporting timbers at 12" centres which should be pretty solid, so I recken your 45mm floor might be ok:D

Brilliant price for such thick Ply Danny, I can't imagine its marine ply for that price though, are you going to treat it? my obsy build is a shed conversion which came with 12mm tanalised tongue and groove floor to which I've added 6mm marine ply, so 18mm total, and this feels pretty firm under foot so far. I think I'm going to finish the floor with some ali tread plates like these:

http://compare.ebay....sbar&adtype=pla

so a total of 20-22 mm for the flooring with supporting timbers at 12" centres which should be pretty solid, so I recken your 45mm floor might be ok:D

I'm not sure Ali tread plates are such a good idea, not very forgiving if you drop an EP.

Also there is the issue of condensation; my pillar gets quite wet at times so I can only imaging the same will be true of a metal floor covering.

Then again I could be wrong.

I'm not sure Ali tread plates are such a good idea, not very forgiving if you drop an EP.

Also there is the issue of condensation; my pillar gets quite wet at times so I can only imaging the same will be true of a metal floor covering.

Then again I could be wrong.

ah but you also could be right!:) although I'll be using a dehumidifier so hopefully ths will help a bit:) Good point about dropping kit though, maybe I could have rubber matting around the immediate pier area? I don't own any expensive eyepieces at the moment though just the Revalation Plossl set as I mainly image and now days do visual with bins, quite like the whole both eyes thing:D

ah but you also could be right! :) although I'll be using a dehumidifier so hopefully ths will help a bit:) Good point about dropping kit though, maybe I could have rubber matting around the immediate pier area? I don't own any expensive eyepieces at the moment though just the Revalation Plossl set as I mainly image and now days do visual with bins, quite like the whole both eyes thing:D

There is another thing I'd worry about with a metal floor, water/condensation and that is adding 240V to the equation, mind you I am talking about my wiring skills.

There is another thing I'd worry about with a metal floor, water/condensation and that is adding 240V to the equation, mind you I am talking about my wiring skills.

All my electrics will be introduced and kept above the floor level, although maybe I should just lay down some bathroom lino instead, it will be slippy but at least it will be easy to keep clean and cheap?

I wonder what Danny has in mind for covering his 45mm ply floor?

i will be using carpet tiles i was going to line the inide walls with pvc sheets then ply the inside to make it bit more water tight if anything got through the T&G how did you seal yours ?

Archived