NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

obsy floor

Daniel-K

i will be using carpet tiles i was going to line the inide walls with pvc sheets then ply the inside to make it bit more water tight if anything got through the T&G how did you seal yours ?

PVC may stop the Obsy from breathing and cause more condensation (again I'm no expert).

I lined the lower half of the walls with ply to hide the wiring and flush lighting etc (added a few vent holes in the floor cavity and wall lining to aid ventilation - also makes a good home for spiders).

I didn't seal the T & G outer walls and now when the wind blows and it rains I still get a puddle on the shelf which sits on the inner wall lining. I'm thinking of adding a second T & G face over the south end.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to be sure that no water can pass through, then line the frame with a breathable membrane. Screwfix and Toolstation both supply this - I used this stuff under weatherboard cladding on a shed I built recently:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing+Drainage/Roofline+Ventilation/Vent+3+Breathable+Membrane+Classic+1+x+50M/d250/sd2747/p83455

Line horizontally starting at the bottom and allow around 4" overlap between runs - just staple it down to hold it in place. It stops water from coming in but allows water vapour to pass through from the inside out. I'll be using this again when I eventually get round to my observatory.

Make sure you seal the T & G as best as possible , especially the prevailing wind sides.

Mine have let in a little water due to this awful weather (lucky the P.C. and laptop were no where close).

If you don't mind your obsy looking like a cow shed- then steel cladding panels are very waterproof (and don't require further maintenance). My location has prevailing horizontal rain and the walls have kept dry.

Dscf1823.jpg

the cow she look is defiantly not an option it was hard enough getting the chief to let me build it, i was planning on using treated osb for the outside to save on cost but the chief said she dont want a giant shoe box sitting in the garden so T&G it is

Shiplap is the best for sheds and observatories alike :) Keeps the wet on the outside. Still worthwhile using a vapour barrier between the cladding and the frame though as it's cheap and very effective.

And if you're running a dehumidiier it needs to be as sealed up as tight as you can get it ,

Otherwise you'll end up running it 24/7 trying to dry out the planet...... :rolleyes: .....plenty enough obs been burnt down this way...... :eek:

Similar to leaving the window open with the Air-con running ...... :p

my 45mm ply boards have just arrived they are VERY HEAVY and they came bigger than they said on the website by 60mm so it leaves me more to play with. not thought of running a dehumidifier something to look into

Archived