Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dew controler based LED dimmers

astrovirus

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Not really :D I used the same method for PWM Peltier TEC control. The power is controlled by a power MOSFET with the load in the drain (anode) circuit. The source (cathode) goes to earth/ground and the PWM control signal goes between the gate and source/ground. It's the standard arrangement.

Just finished building my three channel controller; eBay dimmers, large Maplin project box, LEDs + 2K resistors, 2A panel fuses. Also slotted in my Arduino Uno board for a future stepper motor focus upgrade later.

Voltages are a little odd though, getting -1v at the lowest Pot setting through to about 12.5v a the top end. Just need to build my heater tapes now and I am all set.

post-18840-0-67101800-1351534768_thumb.j

post-18840-0-73244500-1351534779_thumb.j

great looking controller there :)

If your having trouble with the heat at maximum setting have a look a couple of pages back for the pot mod i needed to do.

Add a 680 ohm resistor on the max lug on the control pot , the picture of your original led dim box shows the black printed curve, that's the action of the control pot ..9 o clock = min to 3 o clock = max when using a dew band , the heat tails off after the 3 o clock position , add the 680 ohm as my diagram and the max heat will be at max pot turn , :)

Dave.

Two issues with that - it's a thermostat so you need to know and set the dew point temperature each time you use it. And second, it's another wire that needs to be placed on the scope as it needs to monitor the temp of the dew heater to ensure it meets the set point. But other than that it would work.

Oh and I noticed it states a 12v relay, so the constant ticking as it switches on and off in the dead of night might be noisy

I thought of making a set point temperature controlled dew heater system with several dew heaters controlled by an Arduino but decided it was overkill - the temperature is not that critical and simple manual control using those cheap Chinese units put in a box like all the schemes above would be perfectly adequate.

Hi all, I have been following this post for a few weeks now while waiting for my dimmers to arrive. I have got four dimmers which will all be used for dew heaters, and I understand how to wire these up but I also need 2x 12v outputs 1x 6v output and 1x 7.4v output. I have a limited knowledge of electronics and wondered if anyone could tell me how to drop the 12v to 6v and 7.4volts? I also noticed a post about adding a resistor to the pot to give maximum output at the maximum setting but I dont really understand this.

Archived