SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dew controler based LED dimmers

astrovirus

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks, I have been searching for something like this since the weekend.

I'm a photographer with an interest in astrophotography, but never really have the time to do it. Well, up until last weekend when I joined my local astronomical society to watch the Perseid meteors. I was taking pics with my dslr but suffered fron dew buildup on the lens. After a quick bit of research I found plans for dew straps and made a couple. I realised after making them that I have no way of controlling the temp.

Is this dimmer control all I need to adjust the temp?

Thanks

Allan.

My order (3 units) arrived on Friday so spent the weekend building a new power distribution unit for the observatory.

One was used as is, straight out of the box to dim the four red LED strips used to illuminate the scope and warm rooms. The other two were stripped down to just the PCB and then fitted in the case. This gives me 8.5v output for my Canon 400D, 2 x 12v straight through connections (one for the mount, the other for the DC focuser) and 2 x PWM outputs for dew heaters.

Just need to see how well they perform

post-10726-0-80717300-1345575716_thumb.j

Since I only need one of these dimmers, I guess I don't need to take it a part. But I have a question and it may seem dumb but I'm still kinda new to building electronics. How does the power get to the dimmer box, I don't see any power cord? I'll be building the heater strip from the design of http://www.dewityour...ent/6-the-kits.

My order (3 units) arrived on Friday so spent the weekend building a new power distribution unit for the observatory.

One was used as is, straight out of the box to dim the four red LED strips used to illuminate the scope and warm rooms. The other two were stripped down to just the PCB and then fitted in the case. This gives me 8.5v output for my Canon 400D, 2 x 12v straight through connections (one for the mount, the other for the DC focuser) and 2 x PWM outputs for dew heaters.

I see you're using phono sockets for the power. What current would you think these can take? I'm trying to sort out a 12v connector for my camera box which will draw 2 or 3 amps at maximum cooling.

@Nick - the 12v comes in via the bottom phono socket.

@Gina - My guess is that the will handle a good 5-10 amps. All commercial dew heaters come with phono plugs fitted so I can't see why drawing 2-3 amps would cause a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I like it a lot Malc-c :)

Could you please tell me what you used to drop the voltage to 8.4v for the camera? Is it a LM317 with a diode or resistor to limit the voltage? I just can't see on in the pic..

Cheers

Dave

Starnut , that panel looks great , nice clean layout , reminds me of a modular synth panel :) (my other diy interest).

I got 4 of 8 dimmers delivered , next 4 due soon , im hoping to build a 6 channel control box , im designing a panel sticker on corel draw and will take the file to a local sign maker to get printed on adhesive vinyl, looking forward to building.

Dave.

Archived