Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew controler based LED dimmers

astrovirus

So while working on my Aduino focueser has been postphoned momentarly, I decided to make me a dew controler. On the Dutch Astroforum people had been discussing these 12V 8A LED dimmer for cheap on Ebay, so I decided to buy me 3 of those (between 3-6 euros each including postage from Asia :grin:). Wired it all up with 3 seperate channels and put it in a nice project box, ready for those dripping wet nights now. These LED dimmer use a 555 timer PWM that's perfect for regulating power to the dew bands. And they are so cheap on Ebay that you can hardly make them this cheap on your own.

Regards Tim

post-6675-0-01907100-1341648857_thumb.jp

post-6675-0-63649700-1341648872_thumb.jp

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to make an aduino automatic dew controller, but none of the programs out there that I can find work with version one hardware, so until I can get my head around programing these things this seems to be a good cheap alternative, and at under £3 each I can make a 4 channel for just over a tenner, diy astro rocks :icon_salut:

So while working on my Aduino focueser has been postphoned momentarly, I decided to make me a dew controler. On the Dutch Astroforum people had been discussing these 12V 8A LED dimmer for cheap on Ebay, so I decided to buy me 3 of those (between 3-6 euros each including postage from Asia :grin:). Wired it all up with 3 seperate channels and put it in a nice project box, ready for those dripping wet nights now. These LED dimmer use a 555 timer PWM that's perfect for regulating power to the dew bands. And they are so cheap on Ebay that you can hardly make them this cheap on your own.

Regards Tim

Thank you for that :) I have ordered some :) They're cheaper than the sum of the parts as you say. And my faculties aren't what they were for making up circuits.

discussing these 12V 8A LED dimmer for cheap on Ebay, so I decided to buy me 3 of those (between 3-6 euros each including postage from Asia :grin:).

Regards Tim

Tim, can you provide a link to those exact ones, e-bay seems flooded with options all ranging in cost and delivery times.... how long did yours take to arrive ?

Those are the correct ones, although i ordered mine form other vendors. Indeed there are a lot of different prices for the same goods, just have to look for the cheap ones. Mine got here within 2 weeks.

It's funny to see a running fire starting here, same thing happened when these items were posted on the Dutch Astroforum. :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Could we have detailed build instructions please?

Connect 12v supply to the terminals marked IN with the positive to the V+ and the negative to V-. Connect the load to the terminals marked OUT with the positive of the load to V+ and the negative to V-. With a resistive dew heater the polarity doesn't matter so you can connect the heater either way round. With LED lights the polarity DOES matter.

Archived