Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Higgs like particle found

I'm surpised there is not much interest in this.

Possibly the biggest scientific announcement in decades with quite large consequences on our understanding of how the universe works and it's gone under the radar?

I was certainly captivated by it all anyway.

Oh wow! Just spotted this news item on my phone! Can't believe top item on 6 o' clock news is banking. What about the eternal verities?! Less Barclays and more Higgs boson!

I shall have to try harder to understand all this 'field that gives particles mass' mullarkey. Sounds like cream cakes to me.

Really think it deserves a higher position in the news though.

Just caught the news... Wow! this is a real achievement probably the biggest thing in forty years since Peter Higgs first suggested the particle existed... This is a major leap in science and will open many doors in technology.. so now we have the (confirmed) twelve particles... Will they find Something smaller than a Higgs Boson?.. Will we find the answer to "dark energy".... Who knows. Professor Peter Higgs i salute you :icon_salut:

It's a great result, although its nearly 50 years since he published - so he's lucky to still be around!

As for smaller, the Higgs is pretty big by particle standards, thats why they needed the huge LHC to make it. Its about 133 times the mass of the proton.

Stephen Hawking as suggested Peter Higgs receives a Nobel Prize. I think that would be

acceptable by the scientific community.

It was great to see Higgs at the ceremony to announce the discovery. He must be feeling mighty pleased.

And so he should.. It's been a long wait for him.

Ron.

There were several others who predicted the Higgs field at about the same time, at least one before Higgs himself I believe (one of whom has since died). However Higgs was the first to note that the field would be accompanied by a boson. The Nobel prize can be award to a maximum of three (living) people - so who would you pick? The theorists? The discoverers? Some combination? Someone is going to be upset I predict!

Archived