Focusing my Skyliner 200p

Hi All,

I finally took the plunge a few months a go and got myself a Skyliner 200p based on many recommendations. I have always had a huge interest in the stars and have spent hours giving myself a crooked neck so naturally I was very excited!

Two months past, waiting for a time when I could finally get out and use it, I live in London so I have to drive out to Kent to get any sort of decent view, this coupled with the poor weather we have had, work schedule also plays a big factor.

Anyway, last night everything seemed right. Although the moon was Waxing Gibbous, this didn't bother me, in fact I was quite looking forward to having a good proper look at it's surface. I also hoped to home in on Saturn. The weather was a little touch and go.

We found a spot, I setup, roughly set the finderscope up, pointed the Skyliner at the moon to get it focussed and it just wasn't happening! I had the lower magnification 25mm stock eyepiece in place but as I turned the focusing wheel I wasn't seeing any difference. I consulted the manual, which just says turn it either way until it comes into focus - very helpful!

Since coming home and doing a little research, somebody else seems to of had a similar issue and it was down to the eyepiece adapters. I did put both of the eyepiece adapter in place as it seemed like the only way I could get the scope to take the eyepiece, maybe this was the problem? Any ideas?

Thankfully it wasn't just this that spoilt the trip but cloud cover rolled in shortly after setting up.

I'm planning another journey out in a couple of weekends time when hopefully I will have it all working, coinciding with a much subtler moon! Weather permitting of course!

Hi Richard, under the focuser there's a lock bolt which, when tightened, locks the focuser rack from moving, but the wheel still turns. Try loosening that and turning the wheel again, you should see the rack physically moving in and out.

Russ

You say that turning the focuser wheel made no difference at all ?

Silly question , but did you loosen the focuser locking screw first ?

The focuser is a friction drive so the wheel will move but not the tube if it's locked !

I think that you should have, supplied with your scope, two eyepiece adaptors

• 2" extender tube for 2" eyepiece - this is necessary to give the eyepiece enough outward travel to get into focus - the silver tube of the focuser is not long enough on its own
  • 1.25" to 2" adaper - apart from being an adapter, it has primarily the same function - to give the eyepiece more outward travel

I suppose that you have 1.25" eyepieces - in this case, you only use the 1.25" to 2" adapter, without the actual 2" extender piece. If you use both, the eyepiece is extended way too much for it to get into focus.

So, if you only use the 1.25" to 2" adapter (leave the 2" extender in a box), I suppose you will be ok.

I have, for instance, a Hyperion Zoom eyepiece with 2" barrel - I have to use the 2" extender, because just the silver tube of the focuser is not long enough to bring it into focus, and even extended all the way out, its still not enough. That is where the extender piece comes in.

Hate to say it but it sounds as if the moon wasn't in view of the scope.

You cannot set up the finder roughly. The moon is 1/2 degree across, that is not very much, if the finder and scope were out by 5 degrees the you would be looking no where the moon.

First set up the finder accurately with the scope in daylight.

That will do 2 things, primarily what the wider finder is looking at so will the scope be. Also it will get the focuser at a position close to what you will need for astronomical viewing. This does presume that you pick an alignment object about 2km away or more.

After that if no focus it is down to what you have in the actual focuser and where the eyepiece sits.

I think assasincz has hit the nail on the head. another thing to consider is that for moon, planets and double stars you really don't need to worry about light pollution so can observe these just as well (pretty much) from home. in fact the moon is light pollution.

Sounds like you've used both adapators at the same time Richard - if we did a poll on here to find out how many 200p owners had done that I would guess the results would be quite funny - I know I did it myself and was on the verge of sending the scope back until I asked on the forum - your not alone by any strtech of the imagination.

Wow, thanks for all your replies!

I have put it down to two possibilities. I indeed did not loosen the screw under the focuser as I didn't see any physical movement of the eyepiece! Doh!

On top of that, it sounds like my eyepiece was too far out as I was using both adapters.

Capricorn - I thought the same when I first set it up, but i am pretty sure I had the scope pointed at the moon, I removed the eyepiece and looked directly into the scope and could see the moon in the middle, thank you for the advise though, I will be sure to align the finderscope in daylight before hand next time!

Guys, i'm going to set the scope up now and focus it on the BT tower, which is far enough away and try the things out that you have mentioned and let you know how I get on!

Of course, it worked!

I feel so stupid overlooking the little focus lock underneath the scope! Also, i'm not sure why I chose to put both eyepiece adapters in place last night?! When it's dark and time is against you I guess it's easy to make silly mistakes like that.

I have one further question however. I have managed to get my finderscope calibrated and nicely inline with the scope. Am I to do this each time I go stargazing or is it ok to keep the finderscope and mount attached? Should I just remove the mount with the finderscope still in it to retain the position of the screws? How do you guys do it?

Knobby, I live in South West London so I had a look at some light polution charts and picked a spot not too far to drive. Yesterday I went out to Bough Beech reservoir, outside of Edenbridge and Tunbridge Wells. I have friends closer to Canterbury in remote villages dotted around the place so will probably take a trip down there at some point. It looks like Alice Holt Forrest is a good spot if you can arrange it, has anyone been?

Moonshane, you are absolutely right. I think next time I just want to catch a few planets and look at the moon I can do it closer to home. Does anybody know of some good spots in London? Was thinking Parliament Hill, good field of view up there.

Would you say I only really need to worry about light pollution in London for deep sky observing then?

Really excited for my next trip now that I have it all working. The BT Tower has never looked so good!

" I have managed to get my finderscope calibrated and nicely inline with the scope. Am I to do this each time I go stargazing or is it ok to keep the finderscope and mount attached? "

It's personal choice really. I take all my finders off in storage so they don't stick out and get knocked about accidentally. I simply loosen the one (or two) screws on the foot and slide it out. It does mean realignment each session but this is no biggie and takes a matter of seconds. With practise you'll be able to align it in the dark on any known object very quickly. If you are mostly mobile like me, you'll find leaving it on the scope it gets tapped out of position during transport at some stage anyway. HTH :)

• 1 year later...

Hi......an ageing post here, but out of curiosity, has there been a Skyliner modification in the last year, as my scope seems different to what you guys are saying. Firstly there is only mention here of the locking bolt under the focuser. Mine has the silver knurled locking bolt plus an Allen bolt tensioner. One locks the focuser, the other adjusts the tension of the focuser shaft. If the lock is tight, no movement of the focuser barrel, but the knobs will rotate, and if the tensioner is not correctly tensioned, same again, no movement of the focuser tube. Also a mention of teeth? I've seen a rack/pinion on one of these scopes, on-line, but not mine. My focus tube is moved by friction, rubber tubing over the focuser knob shaft, in contact with the flattened section of the 2" focuser barrel, and tensioned by adjusting the Allen bolt. Also the mention of the various adaptors. My 2" barrel has to have the T-Adaptor and the 2" - 1.25"  adaptor in place in order to carry the 1,25" eyepieces. This was all pre-built and installed prior to delivery. 

Charic, sounds like yours differs, but is like most scopes and has a 1.25" adaptor that is inserted into the 2" and lies flush with it.  But most 200P's have the two adaptors, a 2" and a 1.25" and you either use one or the other.

Archived