Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EPs for solar scope: What do people use?

I use 12.5 and 9 mm the most, giving me 32x and 44x on my fl400mm SM60. The daytime air turbulence is the biggest problem and it limits magnification depending on the surface you choose. I can use up to 80x (5mm) over grass in the countryside, but not in an urban environment full of tarmac and concrete.

I don't have any small eyepiece between 9 and 5mm so I can't tell you the performance of eyepieces in that range.

Hi, I use my C100ED for solar viewing (white light) and in the first instance I use the SW PanaView 32mm, which is very good, I then go on to use SW LET ep's, 25mm, 20mm, 15mm and 9mm, I also have a set of Lumicon colour filters (#15 Yellow-Orange; #56 Green; #80A, Blue) that I will use on some very rare occasions.

I use the TS Planetary HR Zoom which is the same as the Lunt solar zoom but cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Planetary-Zoom-eyepiece-Oculair-7-2-21-5-HRZ-/390310663981

I've compared it to the BGOs and frankly not much difference if any in sharpness and contrast, and being able to get just the right mag is such a convienience. Zooms do seem to be particularily well suited to Ha use whereas in regular nighttime observing most zooms aren't as good as a fixed FL eyepiece.

John

I use the TS Planetary HR Zoom which is the same as the Lunt solar zoom but cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.u...Z-/390310663981

I've compared it to the BGOs and frankly not much difference if any in sharpness and contrast, and being able to get just the right mag is such a convienience. Zooms do seem to be particularily well suited to Ha use whereas in regular nighttime observing most zooms aren't as good as a fixed FL eyepiece.

John

Interesting. It makes sense that zoom EPs show less aberration in Ha, no chromatic errors!

I prefer Delos EPs for solar viewing. Viewing during the day is a challenge, I find, because with so much ambient light around, dark kidney beaning and difficulties looking through an EP are especially annoying. The Delos are so easy to look through that you can really explore the solar disk without the mechanics of the EP getting in the way.

Have fun with your setup!

I used my Radian 10 and Nagler 12 yesterday, and the Radian was a bit easier to look through. I will try the Pentax XF 8.5 later, when I have it on my GP mount (overkill I know).

The HR zoom looks interesting, as it has just about enough eye relief, whereas the Pentax XF zoom has a minimum eye relief of 11 mm.

The HR zoom looks interesting, as it has just about enough eye relief, whereas the Pentax XF zoom has a minimum eye relief of 11 mm.

I find the HR zoom is a very comfortable eyepiece to use with no problems with blackouts. It doesn't seem to matter where you place your eyeball.

John

I have only three that fit this scope, the 17 and longer ones are 2" EPs. The Coronado ones could make sense, if they have been designed with correction of achromatic aberration in mind (spherical, coma, and astigmatism), and not considering chromatic aberration. I do not know if this is the case.

With my Lunt LS60, i used to use my 15mm TV Plossl most which gives a nice full disk image. I recently invested in 11mm and 8mm TV Plossls for more magnification, and both are nice, though probably the 8mm will get more use. Being more or less parfocal, there is no big messing with focus when switching between them.

Callum

I use a white light Baader filter only (plus a Baader Solar Continuum filter) rather than a 'proper' solar scope. my focal length is 1600mm on my 6" dob so I tend to use only my 32mm TV Plossl which gives a nice 50x. the disc fits well within the field and detail is excellent in good seeing. I sometimes try my 15mm TV Plossl (106x) but this is always a bit much visually. unfortunately I don't have anything in between currently so might eventually get either a 25mm/20mm TV Plossl or if I have some funds come available a 24mm Panoptic. if I got the latter I'd sell the 32mm I think.

I use a 10 mm Radian for Ha viewing. 90% of the time it's the eyepiece that gives the best view. Coincidently it also happens to be best planetary eyepiece on my big Dob too. That eyepiece gets a lot of use...

Thanks for all the replies. The Radian 10 is very nice in my LS35 as well. I tend to grab the XF8.5 more however. It give a bit more magnification, and still shows the whole disc with ease.

The TS Planetary HR Zoom is tempting. I do not think I would go for the Seben, however. First of all, it is the short end which would get most use (I tried the kids' 20mm Plossl: sharp image but way too small), and 7.2 is more interesting than 8mm at the short end. Besides, Seben is a brand that has sold so many awful products that I steer well clear of them. The Speers-Waler 5-8mm zoom would be interesting, The only problem being that it is bigger than the scope :D.

I have had a bit more practice since I posted the question, and do find the XF8.5 is very nice for this work. In days of bad seeing I can always switch to the Radian 10. I had thought I would need lower maginifcation to find the sun, but the TV Sol-Searcher is excellent. It gets me the sun in the FOV every time. I think before investing in special purpose EPs, I will wait to get a Pentax XW7, which I want for planetary viewing anyway.

Cheers

Michael

Michael I have the PST and find that I get the best views with lower magnifications. In the main I prefer to use the Hyperion zoom which is so easy to switch between different mags. I have used the 13mm Ethos which gives lovely views however, I prefer the convenience of the zoom. I find EPs around 16/17/18 give the most pleasing whole views of the Sun and I find its easier to find the sweet spot.

Good luck with your decision.

Mark

Michael I have the PST and find that I get the best views with lower magnifications. In the main I prefer to use the Hyperion zoom which is so easy to switch between different mags. I have used the 13mm Ethos which gives lovely views however, I prefer the convenience of the zoom. I find EPs around 16/17/18 give the most pleasing whole views of the Sun and I find its easier to find the sweet spot.

Good luck with your decision.

Mark

Thanks for that. I have heard that the LS35 has a much brighter image than the PST, although I cannot myself confirm that. Maybe that is why it holds high magnification well. To date I have tried the 20mm Plossl, 12mm Nagler, 10mm Radian, and Pentax XF 8.5. The latter two consistently gave better views. The TS HR Planetary zoom might be a good investment, however, it does give additional flexibility. Besides, when travelling by plane, I could take it, and my 80mm APO, and 31T5 for wide field, and have most bases covered in a 4kg package (assuming the tripod goes in check-in luggage). I could even add teh 2x TeleXtender for really high magnification.

Hi Michael, can I ask you about the TV Sol-Searcher, I have found one at the Widescreen Centre in London at a reasonable price (http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/Sol-Searcher.html), can you tell me if this has a Synta fitting shoe? Also, do you have to align it in the first instance with the telescope optics - I pressume you would!!

Archived