Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The astronomy adventure begins fully today! (Part Two)...

Well I've had my Skyliner 200P Dob for a week now and I'd say that the adventure has stalled a bit! Yes, I've put on a RACI finder scope and I bought my first copy of Sky at Night Magazine yesterday but so far, no observing. Tons of cloud, winds and rain (I haven't even been able to zero in the finder scope) but no clear nights so far. I'm also on late shifts for the next four nights so it looks like that's it until next Monday when I'm off again.

So, still as keen as before (I'd say more so since I got my scope) but not having much luck. Bring on some clear nights when I'm not working!!!!!!

I feel your frustration! It's been a whole 2 months for me since I got my Skyliner 200p before I have been able to use it!

A combination of poor weather, late sunsets, and the need for me to drive at least an hour outside of London to get any sort of good viewing conditions. Not to mention work schedule has to permit.

Bring on autumn!

Bring on early autumn, not the later stages where it just rains every day. The later stages it has rained heavily for the last few years and winter has been almost a dead loss the last couple of years.

Late summer and early autumn has been about the only time of year with a run of some nights with clear skies.

Last year I was working day shifts ... ofc all the clear nights were mon - fri

This year I am on weekend continental shift ... ofc all the clear nights are thu - sun

there are changes coming again to our shift in month or so ... most likely gonna be night shifts = clear nights mon - fri = forecast for ireland for next couple of months

well there has been some exceptions ofc when full moon was about mostly :BangHead:

I share your pain...

I've just finished modding my Xbox webcam and I'm waiting for a clear night to try it out. Nearly got there on Friday but the intermittent cloud cover ruined all my plans!

Tonight's looking good though, so fingers crossed..

Since having a bit of a sort out last week and finding my old 10x50 bins, and the recent thing with venus and the sun, i kept them out to have a look at the moon but since then we've had the usual fantastic british summer weather. I'll put them away again tomorrow, maybe the sky will clear up for you to test out your new gear

it will be better in the autumn :laugh:

Love your scepticism, I was once reprimanded by our Town Solicitor for using the word "will" in a letter, he said it was to direct and positive action could be construed as a result. But I hope you are right in this case Lol :)

John.

I wish you well - it's not the best time of the year to observe and when the darker nights return there will be more chances to get out. Try to see Saturn soon - it will be worth it - and before sunrise Jupiter is also a fine sight. Enjoy your new scope!

andrew

Archived