Baader Neodymium Filter for Moon viewing

Hi all,

I recently treated myself to a Baader Neodymium Filter mainly because I have a lot of LP in my area. It's described as a 'Moon & Skyglow-Filter', but I find the moon still very bright with this filter and feel I'd be better off with a neutral density filter (when it comes to the moon that is - LP is certainly not much of a problem with lunar observing!).

So how does the Neodymium help exactly when it comes to the moon? Should I be using a neutral density filter in combination with the Neodymium filter or what?

Thanks,

Mark

It's not really a moon filter. Perhaps they're trying to sell it as such, I don't know, but it's a sky-glow filter. I'm not being flippant, but have you just tried light adapting your eyes? The moon will dazzle you at first but if you look at it for a few seconds your eyes will light adapt and the view will become quite comfortable. Remember that the image through the scope is no brighter than the naked eye image. Personally, I find the views are nicer this way than with an ND filter.

It's far more than just a light pollution filter.

While it is useful for viewing the moon it doesn't darken the image. It increases detail and contrast a bit and takes the "warm" tint away from eyepieces (if they have a warm tint that is) so the moon has a more natural appearance. There's nothing to stop you using a variable polarising filter along with it if you want.

It's a great planetary filter as well and in fact the only one I use now on Jupiter and Saturn.

John

I have to agree with John that in my experience it does help maintain good contrast and that when viewing planets (Saturn/Jupiter) for me there is a small but noticeable difference. As far as light pollution is concerned, there are no magic bullets but any help no matter how small is certainly welcome even if this Baader product is not the cheapest one out there. An alternative was the sky watcher version but the Baader does have a coating on it that allows you to clean the filter without worrying that you might damage the coating surface.

James

I never got on with ND filters but really like the Baader neodymium on the moon when more than 50% full. less than that and I prefer the view unfiltered (as I generally do for most objects in truth). I find it gives a nice 'natural' grey look to the moon with good contrast.

I use it on Mars (I consider it essential for Mars) and Jupiter but don't see much benefit myself with Saturn.

Maybe ironically, I never use it for light pollution even though I have lots.

I've always viewed it as for reducing the sky glow when the moon is bright than for actually observing the moon. Never actually tried it on the moon come to think of it.

I'm with Shane in that I find it very effective on Mars, good on Jupiter but of no help on Saturn. If anything Saturn looked worse to me when using the Neodymium filter, quite strange.

Stu

it might be perception of the blue spectrum Stu. I tend to see a bluish tone in the filter despite its pink colour (actually, maybe this makes sense?) and it certainly produces good results for me other than Saturn - as with many things, people see differences in gear I suppose.

It must be something along those lines to give such different results. My colour perception tends to be fairly weak, even on planets. They mainly look shades of grey, unless filtered, even though I know others see more distinct colour

Stu

I always use an ND for the moon, makes my eye ache if I observe the moon too long without the ND filter! I use the Neodymium primarily for planetary observing although I do find it is occassionally useful for some DSO's.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll invest in a 0.9 ND filter (one for next month after payday!), using just the neodymium filter on the moon makes my eyes ache also.

Cheers,

Mark

I find it sharpens views for all solar system viewing in my achromat. Works similarly to an 82a but definitely superior to it. I think it is a winner, but still needs either an ND filter or higher magnification for the moon to reduce glare.

I use the Baader for viewing the Moon at less than full phase with my Tal 25mm Super Plossl. The Tal eyepieces do give a slight yellow tint due to the Barium sand used to manufacture them and the ND filter nuetralizes this. It is also useful for Jupiter and Venus as it reduces some glare as well as giving a darker background.

Archived