NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Friendly greetings from the dark mountains of Mid-Wales

Bluemaris

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stevie, Welcome to the Lounge and to the weird & wonderful world of........

Waiting for the clouds to disperse.

I too have purchased new astronomy equipment. It is an unwritten law.... No WRITTEN law that

you will have no clear skies for at least three weeks.

cheers

Steve

Thank you all so much for your wonderful welcome. :kiss:

I have to say that the anticipation is killing me and I'm not as patient as I would like to be. This frustration of not being able to look through my new scope is compounded by the fact that during the week I work in Manchester and only get home to Wales on Friday nights to greet first the scope, and then my wife. If I heard we had a clear night during the week in Wales, I would be beside myself. So I have hatched and executed a cunning plan. The plan was to buy a little portable scope that will stay with me in the car so if the skies clear during the week, wherever I am at least I can look at something. So not 10 minutes ago I've just got back from the local shop with a Heritage 130p - and now I am wracked with guilt - eek! :eek:

I work in Manchester and only get home to Wales on Friday nights to greet first the scope, and then my wife.

Hi Stevie - surely you've got that the wrong way round?! Welcome to SGL and I hope the wonderful Welsh skies clear for you soon!

I bought a Skywatcher 8 inch Newtonian (on an EQ5). The day I bought it, we had six inches of rain in twelve hours. Every day since has been wet or windy or both. On days when it’s been sunny, the clouds have built up in the evening and turned to rain - so I haven’t actually looked through it yet. I have a horrible feeling that it will be some time before I get the chance. But I suspect it might be worth the wait.

Still, I’m looking forward to meeting you all in the forums.

Hi Stevie,

Welcome to the forum. The wait will be worth it, it always is.

Welcome Stevie from another newbie. Wales seems to be quite a hot (if wet!) spot for amateur astronomy. I too am waiting for my first light but I'm using this period to get to know my scope. In some ways it's a good time for a beginner to start.

Good luck and clear skies :smiley: :smiley:

Jason

So your first scope is an 8" Sky-Watcher?

I hope that to be my second scope :)

Anyway, Welcome to SGL.

Also, if you want to join the South Wales group for one of our meets then feel free. Right now we are hoping (in vain it seems) to have a Solar session sometime soon.

Hi Stevie - surely you've got that the wrong way round?! Welcome to SGL and I hope the wonderful Welsh skies clear for you soon!

I wish it was the other way round. Sadly, that describes the nature of the obsession

Welcome Stevie from another newbie. Wales seems to be quite a hot (if wet!) spot for amateur astronomy. I too am waiting for my first light but I'm using this period to get to know my scope. In some ways it's a good time for a beginner to start.

Good luck and clear skies :smiley: :smiley:

Jason

I think I know my new scope quite well - I've hugged it enough anyway :rolleyes: Good luck and clear skies to you too, Jason!

So your first scope is an 8" Sky-Watcher?

I hope that to be my second scope :)

Anyway, Welcome to SGL.

Also, if you want to join the South Wales group for one of our meets then feel free. Right now we are hoping (in vain it seems) to have a Solar session sometime soon.

In my valley, we call the mist Welsh sunshine.

Strangely, I have never considered Solar as an option - possibly because I've always tried to keep any optics well away from the sun. I forget that one should take advantage of the fact that we have a friendly little star next door. I once gave proxima centauri as an answer to the question "what is our nearest star" in a pub quiz. :grin: Duh!

Hi Stevie, welcome to the forum and what a great introduction you gave. Great scope as well when you get the opportunity to look through, the views of starfilelds and clusters are simply amazing through the 200P. Clear skies!

Thanks again to everybody who have given me such a warm welcome. I feel that I am going to feel really at home here - amongst friends. I have been having a good look around and cannot believe what a truly wonderful and important resource this place is.

Late last week from the back of my Manchester abode there seemed to be some clouds missing and I was actually able to see Arcturus, Spica, Cor Caroli and most of the major plough stars. As well as the gibbous waxing moon and so finally was able to swing my little portable telescope towards the moon and view same under a magnificent 65x - I have to say, that I was blown away by the detail that I could see along the terminator. I then turned it to Spica - only to discover that it had rings! For the first time in my life I had seen Saturn's rings!!!

I actually cried.

What a Wuss.

Archived