Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tomorrows Summer Solstice

Short of the clouds decending overnight and blocking out the sunrise I may get out and watch it tomorrow morning.

I am in the enviable position of living close to a fantastic spot close to my home that gives a completely flat horizon for 360 degrees and out to the east you can see for about 50 miles.

Found it ages ago while mountainbiking with a friend and I always though that it would be a stunning spot for an observatory as it is perched on top of a moor and you have an unrestricted view of the sky. Also it is only 5 minuites drive from my house.

Even contemplated taking my scope up some time, but the downside is I would have to carry my gear for about a mile and a half to get to the spot. For that kind of dedication I would have to enlist the help of a couple of others in order to carry the gear. Not ideal really.

I do find my back garden more than sufficient most of the time though.

Hello Malc,

Yeah, I know about the hiking to your favorite observing spot routine. That is what observing buddies are made for!!! :grin:

Seriously though, if you plan to take your kit out in the dark and hike into your remote observing spot, it would be best to have a friend along, just for safety's sake.

Dan

Hey Dan.

You're right there though. and the fact that it is pretty rough terrain, so would need a head torch to light the way to the site as it is a rocky muddy and uneven track as well.

A few years ago I did the summer solstice thing and drove up to one of my favourite places (Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales) to watch the dawn. The sun rose at about 4.36 in the morning if I remember. I found a brilliant spot, parked up and waited. It was eerie. Near total silence apart from the sheep calling to each other. Absolutely beautiful. Complete solitude. One of my alltime favourite moments.

Sorry you lot are having such terrible weather! It's pretty nice here right now... 81 F, sunny, winds at 2 mph and humidity at 28%.

Forcast for tonight: completely clear until about 1AM, when the marine layer rolls in, completely shuts down the sky in about 20 minutes and sends all the astronomers to bed. If you want to drive about an hour to the high desert (we are at 500 m alt., Joshua Tree Nat'l forest is at about 1500 m), you can escape the cloud layer entirely. The extra bonus is that the cloud layer traps all the light pollution underneath and makes the high desert skies even darker this time of year.

Oh yeah, the forcast also calls for high-magnification views of Saturn with scattered binocular views throughout the garden! :grin:

Dan

Sorry you lot are having such terrible weather! It's pretty nice here right now... 81 F, sunny, winds at 2 mph and humidity at 28%.

Forcast for tonight: completely clear until about 1AM, when the marine layer rolls in, completely shuts down the sky in about 20 minutes and sends all the astronomers to bed. If you want to drive about an hour to the high desert (we are at 500 m alt., Joshua Tree Nat'l forest is at about 1500 m), you can escape the cloud layer entirely. The extra bonus is that the cloud layer traps all the light pollution underneath and makes the high desert skies even darker this time of year.

Oh yeah, the forcast also calls for high-magnification views of Saturn with scattered binocular views throughout the garden! :grin:

Dan

Rub it in Dan. Where's that 'dislike' button ......... ;)

Andy

Yes , I can imagine a lot of the " un-washed" being a trifle miffed when they turn up at Stonehenge tonight ........ :evil:

That's a bit of a sweeping statement about folk who enjoy the midsummer festival, I have attended a few myself and i can assure you i am no stranger to soap and water. Why are peeps so ready to make unfounded judgements?

That's a bit of a sweeping statement about folk who enjoy the midsummer festival, I have attended a few myself and i can assure you i am no stranger to soap and water. Why are peeps so ready to make unfounded judgements?

Because making fun of stereotypes is a common element of humour. It doesn't mean anyone believes them to be true.

James

I thought that initially but there is a little devil at the end of the post so viewed the comment a little differently.

Must admit though that when I attended the Stonehenge Festivals back in the late 70's early 80's I was one of the unwashed for a few days until we made a trip to Salisbury swimming baths.

As attractive as it seems to find a high point at the solstice nothing will compare with sitting with the druids at Stonehenge at 4.30 in the morning. But that is as they say, is another story..... :happy10:

For me the winter solstice is far more worthy of celebration. The turning of the days to getting longer means new life is on the way and I find it all quite positive.

(I've been one of the great unwashed too, but mostly at festivals such as Glastonbury rather than Stonehenge.)

James

Well I've just driven to work (near Stonehenge) and seen some poor soles thumbing lifts back home - I don't think they had a great Solstice this year looking at how wet and cold they all are.

Those poor soles are probably in the wrong plaice, they've haddock enough by now and probably codn't care less.

Hi Polar Bear, i remember in 81' i think it was being at the stonehenge festival, and Hawkwind turned up and did a free gig. ah good times :grin: :grin:

clear skies, Den.

I was there, do you remember Gong playing ? I was a biker at the time but the Hells Angels there scared the proverbial out of me. I remember they were the unofficial 'Policing' for the festival. One night we went for ablutions in a nearby field and were rudely disturbed by infantry soldiers in full camo, faces blacked and toting machine guns. The Solstice was something special that year, happy days (the tales I could tell !)

Paul

just got back from stone henge and it was fantastic. got drenched in the 4 hours of heavy rain but loved it. The Stones are warm and dried quickly after the rain stopped!

supprise supprise, the clouds were out all night and during sunrise, but we all still gave a cheer.

post-19345-0-06602100-1340476244_thumb.j

post-19345-0-61025200-1340476262_thumb.j

post-19345-0-91441000-1340476308_thumb.j

post-19345-0-05958200-1340476327_thumb.j

Archived