Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello good people!

After using EQ2 mounts and imaging planets for almost a year, I think it's about time for me to start imaging DSO's!

I think I can just about afford to get the skywatcher 150p on EQ3-2 mount.

Will the mount be ok with a dslr or should I wait a while and get the 200p EQ5?

The HEQ5 mount is just too expensive for me, unfortunately. I would just like to know if the EQ3-2 or EQ5 is capable of imaging DSO's

Thanks!

Quatermass has done imaging quite successfully with the 200P on an EQ5, but it's pretty demanding. stan26 has also done some very good imaging on an EQ3-2, but you need something far smaller than a 150P. More like an 80ED. Have a scan through their threads in the DIY and imaging sections to get an idea of what they're doing and how they're doing it.

James

Hi there, and welcome to the dark side!

In very simplistic terms the mount is considered the most important feature, by many, when starting to image DSO - myself included. When you think about it you are trying to collect light which is dim and from a 'moving' object. To that end you want a sturdy and accurate mount (and will inevitably want to guide at some point - although I have seen many fine examples of unguided work!).

Now that doesn't mean to say your suggested mount is not going to be any good. On subjects like Orion or Andromeda your should get some reasonable results - its all about expectation!

Get yourself a copy of Making Every Photon Count before buying a mount, the worst thing you can do is rush into a decision and in several months time find yourself upgrading. The nights are light so use the summer months to research, read the above mentioned book and, of course, ask questions here....good luck.

Hi John, for about the same price as an eq3 plus motor drives and polar scope you could pick up a second hand mk1 HEQ5 which has everything you need built in, I have one it cost about 280 and even though its not the pro model its much nicer to image with than my old EQ5, check out Astrobuy and sell, pretty much everything in my sig's second hand from there. I can vouch for the 150p as well, I was out with mine last night imaging M57 and It was a joy to use, really sucked in the photons and its fairly light, I did have the 200p but I found it too heavy to lug around.

Archived