Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aligning nexstar 8se

I have tried aligning my celestron Nexstar 8se using three star alignment, as well as two star alignment. the controller reads that I have succeeded, but when I put in an object to slew to, the drive slews to a wrong object. this happens in two and three star alignment. A little fustrated. any suggestions?

What eyepiece are you using? You should use your lowest power ep when you go to an object. If your target is anywhere in the field of view of a 25mm or 32mm ep, then goto is working well. Don't forget the 8se has a long focal length so your field of view is narrow and it is hard for the goto to get an object dead center as a result.

Are you using batteries? For the 8se you really need to use a power tank.

Check and double check all the data you entered, it is easy to get one bit wrong and the scopes seem to do the alignment then fail to go to the object selected.

Also just in case you are using rechargeables to save money - sensible thought, they are 1.2 volt not 1.5 volt, so a fair bit too low.

My coordinates are correct, however I have not ordered the power pac, and am running batteries, so this could be the problem. thanks

For some reason Celestron thought they'd make the scope slew erratically rather than providing a "low battery" message. Go figure.

Are you using co ordinates or the city database? I ask because the city database has a bug in the firmware and celestron issued a poorly advertised update. You have to google to find it as its not on the normal support section for the 6/8SE. If you are using co ordinates make sure you enter them correctly longitude first, and make sure you select the appropriate west and north settings

Sent from tapatalk

I think (being a current Celestron owner) that they don't help much with the overall ease of setting up their scopes. I struggled for ages with mine and have only recently got to grips with the operation of it after months of struggling. Also the instruction manual could have been written by a martian for all the use it is. I think they need to tear it up and start again with human beings being the end user.

I think (being a current Celestron owner) that they don't help much with the overall ease of setting up their scopes. I struggled for ages with mine and have only recently got to grips with the operation of it after months of struggling. Also the instruction manual could have been written by a martian for all the use it is. I think they need to tear it up and start again with human beings being the end user.

i agree with you 100%.

Skywatcher do[removed word]entation ain't much better I can tell you. There's much more helpfully videos on YouTube for a beginner. Easily found

Sent from tapatalk

Lol - just worked out what was removed! I agree, the manual is absolutely useless.

I really struggled with my 8SE alignment, and I only found it improved when I centred on an object for alignment really closely, moving up to higher magnifications to make sure. Also helped when I entered direct coordinates - didn't know about the city list bug thing, but it makes sense now,as that was what I started to use when I first got the scope. I;ve never really had problems using batteries as yet, but I've never used rechargeables in it yet (I keep them for my camera instead).

Its worth persevering with, the tube is excellent and provides some lovely images; just remember to let the scope cool down a good while first!

I use my baader zoom to get the object in the FOV at 24mm keeping the object central whilst I tweak the direction keys I zoom to 8mm then move to the next star and repeat. I only evey use 2 star align and it's reasonably accurate. You have to adjust the backlash first though and always finish your centering in the same direction the mount uses. That's the way to get the most out off the mount in my opinion. Goodluck

Sent from tapatalk

I always use "sky align" with my 127 and as previously stated it is very important to use both low and high power eyepieces for alignment and to make sure the mount is dead level.

Once you suss it out it becomes a matter of routine.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

There is a vast amount of alignment discussion for the 8se on the 'cloudynights' astro forum (under nexstar category). I would really recommend this as an additional forum site for Nexstar SE users. Basically the way you approach your alignment star using the up, down, right or left buttons is important and in part depends on how balanced your scope is. Levelling is not that important (eyeball accuracy is fine). Crazy, I know, for a 'GOTO', but it seems you have to spend a bit of time mastering the set up... I found Skywatcher setups to be less temperamental but not sure why.

The NexStar Resource site will give you a lot of information about how best to align your NexStar scope, including a program which finds the best 2 stars - the 3rd one doesn't matter too much provided it isn't a straight line with others. As for the coordinates, use Google Earth to find your exact details. And if using a low power eyepiece you can increase the accuracy by defocussing so that the star becomes a large circle - much easier to centre that way and you don't need to change eyepieces. The only times I have had a problem with alignment was when I tried using Venus and Mars when it ended up insisting that Mars was Betelgeuse. Best to avoid the planets and the Moon is only suitable as the 3rd option as it is too big to centre properly. Stick to the recommend stars and the GOTO accuracy will be much better.

The current top 5 recommended pairings for around 9pm are

Hamal and Alphecca

Alphecca and Algenib

Mirfak and Rasalhague

Rasalhague and Hamal

Alphecca and Mirach.

Archived