NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Book recommendation?

Hi all

So, I have Turn Left and as part of our birthday club at work I'll be getting a £20 Amazon voucher on Friday so I've been looking at The Backyard Astronomers Guide but before I buy I thought I'd see if anyone here has it and if it's worth buying. I've only dipped into TLAO but will start reading it properly this week. So if I have that, will Backyard compliment Turn Left? Or should I steer clear?

I'm sure someone mentioned a good book on Star Hopping on here recently (ish) but I can't remember what the title was. Would that be a better option than Backyard?

Thanks or any help :)

Hi Daz. Cant really comment on The backyard astronomer other than to say I have heard positive things about it. I have just bought the Illustrated Guide To Astronomical Wonders; and it is truly excellent. It deals a lot with starhopping / finder views etc.. Dont know if this is the book you mean ? Anyhow it covers complete constellation guides, hundreds of deep sky objects (more than TLAO) Multiple stars etc. It has 500 plus pages & is a great read. Think mine cost me £14 from Amazon.

TBAG covers equipment, how to set it up and use it, and what you can do with it - it's not a how to find things book (though it does compare various star atlases) so it should complement books like TLAO nicely.

I suppose it depends what your goals are. If you want to pursue the Messier objects, for instance, then have a look at a book about those. For the Caldwell, O'Meara's book is good. I've heard slightly less good things about his Messier book, though. If you want something old school and rather fun then buy The Messier Album by Mallas and Kreimer. It must be about 50 years old by now but it has a certain charm to it.

Wow thanks everyone! I think I'm after a bit of how to stuff to learn the ace and mount better and also the star hopping and what can be seen etc. bit of everything I guess. The backyard book seemed to be well recommended so thought I'd ask to see what's worth spending the £20 voucher on (give or take a tenna...... doesn't the budget always end up drifting upwards LOL).

Messier stuff I can get of tinternet so yeah, more of the how to really :)

Hi Daz. Cant really comment on The backyard astronomer other than to say I have heard positive things about it. I have just bought the Illustrated Guide To Astronomical Wonders; and it is truly excellent. It deals a lot with starhopping / finder views etc.. Dont know if this is the book you mean ? Anyhow it covers complete constellation guides, hundreds of deep sky objects (more than TLAO) Multiple stars etc. It has 500 plus pages & is a great read. Think mine cost me £14 from Amazon.

Hi Paul, is there any chance you could increase the size of your text - mind you it might be my age! :grin: :grin:

Many thanks

James

For now I've gone for TBAG and IGTAW but I've made a note of all the other suggestions and they will be goingnintonmy library over the next few months :D

Paid for next day delivery but HDNL (home delivery network) have messed up, sorted it on Friday evening ready for a guaranteed Saturday delivery and didn't deliver it! Amazon have been great, refunded the extra I paid for next day and chasing them up for me. Fair pay to em :)

daz,as a relative newbie myself i can recomend the books youve gone for. "illustrated guide to astronomical wonders" is like the next step up from tlao. and the backyard astronomers guide is like a encyclopedia of astronomy equipment and advice. both of these get read often.

clear skies..

I've just ordered a book from Amazon called Sky at Night: answers to questions from across the universe. I haven't received it yet but when I had a flick through it in the shop I found it quite interesting.

I think It will be good for reading when the clouds roll in.

Archived