First Imaging Session - Skywatcher 250PX

peonic

Metcheck promised me faithfully that I'd have a least a couple of hours of cloud-free sky last night, and being so keen to get outside I took them at their word. Skies cleared up around 10'ish - and the EQ6 was already in the garden ready. Polar alligned the mount, and then hefted the 250PX outside. Bah, managed to shift the mount whilst getting the scope connected - and is that a cloud I can see on the horizon.........

I made the decision to go with just some short exposures last night - was really itching to get some shots taken through the 10" monster and I didn't fancy trying to drift allign with a bazillion kilos of scope and counterwieght making the alt/az adjusters somewhat tricky to move - and I really didn't want to spend half an hour getting a good allignment only to find the only thing I could take pictures of were clouds!

First thing I noted was that I'd extended the EQ6 tripod legs, and had to get a stepladder to get anywhere near the eyepiece with the scope pointing anything close to 'upwards' :D . Second thing I noticed was just how much easier the scope was to focus compared to the C6-XLT - there's no slop in the focusser at all, and diffraction spikes are a really handy aid to show you you're getting close - gonna be fun when I get my motor focusser delivered :(

When it came to actually taking exposures, M51 and M82 were in the areas least threatened by rolling cloud - but I really wasn't sure how much detail I'd get out of them considering my polar allignment had been whacked so far off line I was getting trailing on my focus star at only 30 seconds.

Personally, I was gobsmacked by the results. The light grasping ability of this scope (which I've now nicknamed "The Herniator") is simply awesome - here's a sequence of 17 and 20 subs of M51 and M82 respectively - at 20 seconds per sub:

1015_thumbnail.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

1016_thumbnail.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Nothing that's going to set the world alight - but it really leaves me very excited for the potential of this scope once I can get it collimated properlly (waiting on a baader laser) and get it running with PHD guiding it (need shorter dovetails, erk!).

It's still too big, and it's still a major pain in the Bottom to setup and get close to the eyepiece at times, but I think I'm seriously starting to fall in love with it. :)

Cheers.

Chris

Nice images Chris. I had cloud problems last night as well. It took ages to get 12 images. I have never liked tripods , I always keep knocking the legs , so I built a permanent concrete pier. It also means you can image for longer without the telescope hitting anything.

John

Cracking images Chris!!

We can compare notes at Kelling - same set up as me!!!

I would highly recommend a 2nd dovetail bar to put on top of the scope as an extra handle when lifting it onto the mount. I did and its now much easier. Secondly, I would recommend lowering the legs of the tripod!!!!! :):D

I would highly recommend a 2nd dovetail bar to put on top of the scope as an extra handle when lifting it onto the mount. I did and its now much easier. Secondly, I would recommend lowering the legs of the tripod!!!!! :):D

Dovetails are winging their way from Auntie FLO as we speak - needed them for guiding purposes anyway - the 250PX is just waaaaaaaaay too fat to fit on my ADM side-by-side plate! Getting the tripod right up helped me get a few extra degrees of view over the conservatory last night, not entirely sure it's something I'll bother with every time - especially considering I do have the occaisional scotch whilst imaging, and wobbling off the ladder could be painful (not to mention blumming expensive!).

Chris

What a great start with the new scope Chris, no wonder you are feely 'chuffed' with it.

Going from a 6" to a 10", is quite a significant step in light gathering ability.

For 20 sec subs, the results are 'pretty damn' good!!

Dave

Archived