Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2x Evostar 80ed

Earl

I now have both scopes setup, at this point im not 100% on the way they are, I might put one of the ed's in rings if they dont align well.

Ill need to test that out when the other 383 arrives.

post-19346-133877783072_thumb.jpg

post-19346-133877783078_thumb.jpg

post-19346-133877783084_thumb.jpg

I was happy just getting my first ed80 recently second hand from a member here! Lovely scope and very interesting setup here.

I look forward to seeing the pics!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

First clear night since my new guide camera arrived.

Tonight I was gathering HA and OIII data, however all that really happened was alI confirmed a collection of issues.

a) Im gettng 150mm guide rings for one of the ed80s as the dual bar is not parallel.

b ) Skywatcher focuser has a serious droop issue so im having to get a real focuser for it.

But everything worked, the results were not good so the data has been deleted, but it has confirmed my next things to sort.

Nope not with this mount.

I think its do-able(ish).

An ED80 with tube rings and dovetail is exactly 3kg, which would leave about 4 or 5kg spare for everything else if you had three - which may be 1.5kg for cameras (314L+ in my case), 1.3kg for a triple bar, 1.4 kg for reducers, 500g for a finderguider plus whatever your filters weigh (no need for FW if using all three filters at same time). Which would total roughly14kg.... Its close, but imaging at 500mm I think you might get away with it. Not sure how much the 383 weighs though, so it might take you over the limit.

It might be interesting however to get three ST80s and make a Ha hoover, wouldnt cost as much either :)

If you were doing RGB, or LRGB, on three or four scopes with individual cameras and a single fixed filter each, would you really need an ED scope at all?

James

There is a Vixen which is not an APO which is good for narrow band, id stick with ED's to be honest.

I think its do-able(ish).

An ED80 with tube rings and dovetail is exactly 3kg, which would leave about 4 or 5kg spare for everything else if you had three - which may be 1.5kg for cameras (314L+ in my case), 1.3kg for a triple bar, 1.4 kg for reducers, 500g for a finderguider plus whatever your filters weigh (no need for FW if using all three filters at same time). Which would total roughly14kg.... Its close, but imaging at 500mm I think you might get away with it. Not sure how much the 383 weighs though, so it might take you over the limit.

It might be interesting however to get three ST80s and make a Ha hoover, wouldnt cost as much either :)

I am seriously contemplating it later down the line, however getting things working "Sweet" is enough to worry about atm :)

I am seriously contemplating it later down the line, however getting things working "Sweet" is enough to worry about atm :)

Yeah, good plan. Get everything settled in first before expanding.

For your scope alignment, you might need to resort to guidescope rings (thats what I ended up doing), which so far have done the job with no dodgy stars, but im still settling in my twin shooter arrangement as well, so its too soon to come to a conclusion. At the moment, the current payload is about 11.5kg and the mount hasnt broken into a sweat or got its knickers in a twist (yet). :)

I ordered some 150mm rings, which have turned out to be to large as the screws are not long enough, I have had to put on the original tube rings to thicken it out, this might not work properly but ill need to test it out first.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered some 150mm rings, which have turned out to be to large as the screws are not long enough, I have had to put on the original tube rings to thicken it out, this might not work properly but ill need to test it out first.

That has now been sorted with 125mm rings, big thank you to Steve at FLO

Archived