Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what's your choice

Bingo

:DWith aperture fever engulfing me i find i have the chance to acquire another scope, ( i already have a mak 127 on the EQ-3 mount ) and was thinking of getting a skywatcher 200p or pushing the boat out a bit further for the 200pds what do you guys think ? what would be your choice. :(

What mount would you be putting it on? The Explorer 200 scopes are too much for an EQ3. Depending what you want to do with it, I would go for a Skyliner 200P Dob.

Either way, the jump from 127mm to 200mm is going to knock your socks off visually.

DS=dual speed? focuser. Makes for easier more accurate focusing?

That can only be a good thing.

A 200P Dob would be a great all rounder. Not much good for imaging though.

Are you thinking of getting one of these as a scope + a mount or are you just thinking about getting the optical tube ?.

I say that as I don't think either would work well on your EQ3-2 mount.

Edit: I see Rik has asked the same question !

was hoping you wasn't going to ask that question, i thought i might be able to get by on the EQ3-2 for now then move to a HEQ5 when funds allow. wont be using it for AP just visual

If you're just going for visual then the Dobsonian (Skyliner 200P) would be better.

+1

You don't need an EQ mount for visual. In fact they hinder more than help for visual. Putting a newt onto a Dob mount is an upgrade if visual is the goal.:(

i'd like to stick with an equatorial mount if i can, i'm kinda use to them now. so if the 200p or 200pds are to big for the EQ3-2 to handle and your saying i won't be able to get by for a while until i can change the mount, what apart from a dob do you guys think would be a decent upgrade from the mak127. :hello2:

Cheers for the idea Alexxx had a look around the second hand sites there are a few interesting items but most of the big mounts come with scope, i guess i'll just have to keep looking.

I own a 127 mak on eq3-2 and Ive just got a 200pds delivered :hello2:

Fortuneately I have also just got an HEQ5 pro second hand for it too sit on. (yes I am feeling a bit smug just now :p)

Unfortuneately I also got a lot of cloud delivered with it so havent had a look through it yet.

The reason I went for the pds is so I can attempt astrophotography When I am ready to do so. Also the focuser is realy nice and twin speed is going to be a big help when focusing.

Also you get that 28mm 2" ep with it. Its a monster! I cant help but think its going to be like peering into a porthole.

What I would suggest you do is if youve got cash ready, then buy the mount now and carry on using your mak. Then when youve saved up again or sold the mak, buy the ota. That was my plan but I ended up just buying ota after a week of having the mount.

Payday took a hit and its noodles for dinner for a month.

Or just buy a big dob :)

Cheers for the idea Alexxx had a look around the second hand sites there are a few interesting items but most of the big mounts come with scope, i guess i'll just have to keep looking.

Did you try UK Astrobuysell? Decent mounts turn up there with no OTA all the time :hello2:

Look at the weight of your scope of choice and add the weight of your largest eyepiece, then look at mounts to find one that could easily handle that weight. You don't want one that is near the limit as it is likely to be a bit wobbly.

I don't know a lot about mounts as I am still learning, but I rather like the CG-4 I just got; I believe there is a CG-5 too, could this handle a 200P? HEQ5 is not the only EQ mount out there...

+1

You don't need an EQ mount for visual. In fact they hinder more than help for visual. Putting a newt onto a Dob mount is an upgrade if visual is the goal.:hello2:

I agree with that. Stable, zilch damping time, intuitive and no roating of OTAs, which gets more of an issue as the scope gets bigger. I would never choose a German mount for visual, always an Alt Az, whether motorized like an SCT fork or 'just' a Dob. (If I bump our Dob with my head, my head vibrates, not the Dob...)

Olly

:icon_salut:Cheers guys, some solid advice from all of you, which has given me lots to consider.

thanks also to jonathan for the pm's i'll follow up your suggestion ... you never know :hello2:

Well you made me do it ... all of you ganging up on me leaving me no choice ;) , went out today and purchased a nice shiny new 200p and ............the EQ5 for it to sit on. As you would expect it's throwing it down :mad: so no chance to use it and yes i'll take responsibility for the weather, although i must point out it was raining before i bought the scope. i hope to get some clear sky's saturday so it looks like it'll be a late night :eek:

cheers everyone for the good wishes, i cant wait for some clear skies, i'm so sorry for the crapy skies at the moment but i believe Saturday might be ok. :grin: ... and i just been told the kids have a celestron omni 32mm E/P for dads day.

Archived