Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi folks went out the other night for a pop at the galactic core this was the best effort I could come up with , bear in mind I have done minimal PPing to this and it has not been stacked or anything like that, ( still learning that stuff), the orange glow unfortunately comes from a cafe who still had their lights on at 1.30 in the morning frown.gif.

opinions are always welcome.

core0123.jpg

That's really nice, the orange glow is from a little more than a cafe though lol (maybe Douglas?).

What camera did you use and what settings? Far better than any of my attempts so a well deserved thumbs up from me!

Cheers

Ant

HI ant, I am right down the very south of the island for this shot so no its not douglas closest place is port st mary, literaly just out of eyeline from this shot there is a cafe/restaurant lit up like a christmas tree with big orange floodlights + the conditions were very hazy

setting were as follows

Canon 1Dmk4

F4

30sec exp

ISO 3200

focal lengh 17mm

Wow, I'm amazed that is a single 30s image!

It really is a cracking shot, still looks like a lot of LP for a single cafe - but you'll know better than me!

My memories of the IoM were very dark skies away from the towns. I stayed in Castletown during my visit.

Ant

Good picture - brought back a few memories.

That's the Sound memorial cross isn't it? My Dad used to take us on holiday to Port Erin. The Sound walk round to Port St Mary was a regular one.

Hi folks , yes Adrian it is the memorial cross, I did try going a bit closer to it but got the cars from the carpark in shot.

I brought my CG-5 mount down with me rigged up with a makeshift camera mount but it was so blumming windy I didnt bother in the end, I would like to try longer exposures and a bit less ISO so the mount would be the way to go.

Thanks for the comments on the image :(

Not bad for 30secs.

For those that want to know the settings etc......... (the exif data is in the image)

Camera Maker: Canon

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV

Lens: EF17-40mm f/4L USM

Image Date: 2012-05-26 00:17:56 +0100

Focal Length: 17.0mm

Focus Distance: 3.72m

Aperture: f/4.0

Exposure Time: 30.000 s

ISO equiv: 3200

Exposure Bias: none

Metering Mode: Matrix

Exposure: Manual

Exposure Mode: Manual

White Balance: Manual

Flash Fired: No

GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined

Photographer: Harvey Wood

Copyright: 1.MSPORT 2.BIF 3.STATIC

Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

• 2 weeks later...

Hey scaramanga, How crazy does it get on the IOM. This is one of the more remote locations on the island yet they apparently keep the Sound Cafe lights on in the early hours??!! the only thing moving around there are seals on the rocks or maybe the idea of the lights is to deter liasons.

Have you tried a letter or call to PSM commissioners to find out the rationale?

Hi Scaramanga, I called the PSM commissioners to find out if the lights should be left on at the cafe all night. There conclusion is that the cleaners had probably left them on accidentally when they left.

I called at the sound last night to take some ND photos of the rip tide and when the cleaners left at 10pm, this was the cafe 30secs exposure - no lights.

The area is devoid of artificial light with the exception of a small red flashing beacon on the light bouy in the calf mouth, there was no pollution from Port Erin or Port St Mary which is minimal anyway in direct view, but is hidden by the hilside.

I haven't used this location before but will when the sky clears.

post-788-0-35521400-1339945095_thumb.jpg

post-788-0-87395300-1339945592_thumb.jpg

Archived