Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

!80 or 150 pro (mak)

Im sure im going to get some raised eyebrows with this thread, but here goes:

For a while i have been toying with selling my 180 pro and funding a 150 pro to replace it, so i would welcome other peoples opinion`s on this, but i shall give my thoughts as to why i might do this:confused:

The 180 is very heavy, tbh its at the limit of my EQ5, its a scary job of lifting it on and off the mount!

It has a VERY long focal length, i really struggle to do any webcam imaging with it, with spc900 its imaging at x430 mag, we probably only get one or two nights a year that are good enough to use at this power.

The 180 does have a long cooldown, i would guess the 150 cools a bit sooner

My main use is for lunar work, tbh do i really need a 180 for the moon?

Like i say, this is just subjective and i will more than likely end up staying with the 180, but cant help thinking the 150 might be just a bit more usable for my needs.

just to note regarding the mount, i wont be up grading so im staying with the EQ5

Strangely, I'm thinking of going the in the opposite direction. I would like something bigger, but probably not the 180. I don't think there would be a significant jump in resolution from the 150 to go for the 180 and the smaller field of view would make mosaics a pain. You probably wouldn't notice the small drop in resolving power if you went for a 150.

Peter

Strangely, I'm thinking of going the in the opposite direction. I would like something bigger, but probably not the 180. I don't think there would be a significant jump in resolution from the 150 to go for the 180 and the smaller field of view would make mosaics a pain. You probably wouldn't notice the small drop in resolving power if you went for a 150.

Peter

I am thinking the only loss might be a small amount on planet views, the 180 is just stunning when viewing jupiter, a while back i did this down size with my frac, dropped from a 120mm evostar to the Tal100 and never looked back

Have looked at these SW maks and apart from the obvious issues they present with cooldown times, FL requires more accurate tracking and the weight being more strain on that. What really bugs me though is that they seem to have designed a specific aluminium case for the 150 but not the 180?? Doesnt really make sense to me and if I did buy one I think keeping it in a suitable case would be ideal (when not cooling it down ofc) maybe enough to convince me to do the downgrade despite being such a simple matter.

I find at F12, the MAK150 is a "kindred spirit" of the MAK127. But maybe not quite as "superior" as (vainly) hoped? But it can be used visually with 2" eyepieces, focal-reduced to f/3.3 for Web/Video Cams etc. At F15 (2700mm) the '180 becomes more (slightly harshly judged) "planetary only". The MAK150 does have a modest cool-down time, but (see above) also has a cool[er] box! :(

On the other hand, I do notice a significant light gain with an 8" / F4 Newt, despite the (oft cited) "difficulties" of fast / budget, Newts. If I had the money, I'd be looking at one of those "Ruski" 7" f/10 (6-8 p/v) MAKs. Ah, if only... :)

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/STF_MIRAGE_7_(1_6)_Maksutov-Ca.html

Maybe I can sell off everything else... my soul etc. :)

I'm surprised that you struggle with planetary imaging. I'd have thought that with a barlow in the 2x to 2.5x range taking you to somewhere between f/30 and f/40 you'd be in pretty much the ideal place. I could understand if it's mainly that the EQ5 really isn't up to the job of keeping the scope under control though.

James

I'm surprised that you struggle with planetary imaging. I'd have thought that with a barlow in the 2x to 2.5x range taking you to somewhere between f/30 and f/40 you'd be in pretty much the ideal place. I could understand if it's mainly that the EQ5 really isn't up to the job of keeping the scope under control though.

James

To be honest i dont really do planetary imaging, there are so many people that do a much better job of it than i ever would manage

My main interest is lunar imaging.

I must state that this thread is not a hint at selling my mak, just seeing what people think to the latest daft idea of mine

I thought that this was why you have more than 1 scope, Jules :(

One of the best long focal length 'planetary' scopes (with all the cool down & weight involved) for when you want/need to go close, Tal or zenithstar for a wider view.

All you need now is a 10-12" lightbucket & you're sorted.

I know what you mean about the focal length, though - I've just sold the 10" SCT I had been using as, although the views were great, the narrow FOV was a bit annoying at times. With a 2" diagonal it was running at around 2850mm focal length; even with a 38mm panaview it was still less than 1* TFOV.

I haven't had a chance to properly put the skymax 150 through it's paces. At the moment I haven't gained FOV due to the 1.25" back and I have lost a noticeable amount of light with the step-down - I have the Mak-sct adaptor and a 2" back coming so I can find out if I'll be keeping this one :( (it came with the HEQ5 I bought).

Anyway - I think you'd be better upgrading the mount rather than downgrading the scope :)

I'm do understand your dilemma Jules. At the moment, I'm finding I am not using the mak very much at all. The effort of setting up the sphinx mount, cooling down the mak, dew strips etc etc make it a major operation. I haven't tried it on my giro mount yet but would think the narrow fov would make it far too difficult to find and track anything. However...... the views it gives when it is on song, and the seeing is good are amazing, and I know I won't sell it whatever happens. I bought it as a planetary and lunar scope and it excels at both of these, but it is also a glob eater and shows great views of smaller, brighter dso's.

As said previously, you have other scopes for the other tasks so I'm sure you'll keep the mak for the times you need high power views. In theory, even at that focal length you should get great lunar and planetary imaging.

Stu

Good decision Jules :(

I also only get the big Mak out occasionally, had a great time with Jupiter this time around and for the Moon. Saturn was also great but not best placed here for me.

I would really miss mine if I let it go, so I'm not. Going to get my power focusing sorted over the summer for imaging with it.

Cheers

Ian

I had a bit of a night mare friday night trying to image the moon, i had the CG5 tripod at max height, and being 6`4 the camera was so high up i was on tip toes trying to see the image, so they all turned out pants, but in hind sight it was more a senior moment as it would have made sense to drop the tripod to minimum

• 3 weeks later...

H guys I have recently sold my beloved Vixen. 102mm ED refractor after a great 10 years with it - an amzing scope. I decided I needed a bit more aperture, so I decided on a Skywatcher Black Diamond Pro Mak 180. This scope is absolutely amazing - the contrast and detail it delivers as well as superb resolving power. It is definitely a keeper in my book. Some people say a Mak isn't a good all rounder telescope - as an observer of nearly 30 years standing - it beg to differ a little bit.

Think about most of the Messier objects etc. most are reasonably small and wiill fit comfortably in the field of view of eg a 26mm eyepiece with room to spare. Objects M13 ,M81, M82 etc are superb in this telescope.

Bang for buck and value for money - virtually large APO performance at a fraction of the price for about £700 ish quid.

Looking forward to hearing your views.

Archived