Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

30 and 40mm with skyliner 200p

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a revelation 42mm 70 degree ep, gives a nice wide view but also the image is not dark due to the lp, if you have nice dark skies then this would be fine, if you suffer like I do I would get something like a 32mm. If money is no object then a 28mm uwa or Nirvana, mid range then a panaview 32mm, or revelation 32mm if u r on a tight budget.

your dob is f6 so I would tend to work on about 5x this so 30mm maximum. a 32mm plossl will give the widest field in a 1.25" and would be a good match. alternatively, go to 2" and maybe a 33mm WO SWAN or the Aspheric mentioned might be OK. depends what your budget is really.

I use a Hyperion aspheric 31mm eyepiece for wide viewing. I was recommended this by people on here and it was a good call.

I've recently bought the same and at the moment its my most used E/P but for quite a bit less the Panaview is also highly recommended.

One thing I cannot figure out, the plaeides is around 2 degrees I think, my 42 mm in my 1200mm 200p gives 28.57x magnification, the fov of the revelation 42mm is 70 degrees if I remember, which should give me 2.45 degree fov, yet I can't fit the pleases in the fov. So what gives? Is the revelation ep a lot less fov than is advertised or am I missing something

The 38mm Panaview is a good eyepiece but the 32mm version would be give a more usable exit pupil with your F/4.7 scope. They will show some astigmatism (distorted stars) in the outer parts of the field of view but that will be the case with other wide / ultra wide eyepieces unless you are able to invest in something like a Nagler, UWAN or Skywatcher Nirvana.

A coma corrector won't really help with the astigmatism I'm afraid.

I concur with John's comments but would add that in an f6 scope, coma is not a big issue at all, if you even notice it. astigmatism is something you have to live with if you want wider fields for relatively budget sums.

The 38mm Panaview is a good eyepiece but the 32mm version would be give a more usable exit pupil with your F/4.7 scope. They will show some astigmatism (distorted stars) in the outer parts of the field of view but that will be the case with other wide / ultra wide eyepieces unless you are able to invest in something like a Nagler, UWAN or Skywatcher Nirvana.

A coma corrector won't really help with the astigmatism I'm afraid.

Is this because of the telescope design too ? It being a reflector. Also I'm 31 so do I need to worry about the exit pupil yet ? Thanks

I personally found the 38mm panaview started to show the secondary shadow in my 200p, and the stars from 50% outwards were pretty mushy.

I think much over 32mm and you're pushing it, unless you have exceptionally healthy eyes and can guarantee the best dark adaptation every time you're viewing.

I found the panaview uncomfortable too, it's so big that you cant put your eye up to it with your nose at the side, looking forward. Instead you have to kind of look sideways into it.

I much prefer the aspheric 31mm. Way more comfortable and better edge correction.

I've been offered a 2 inch 38mm panaview. Would this suit a 200p /1200 dob?

Also how bad would the coma be and is it worth buying a corrector?

:( I have a 38mm Panaview on order for the 200P so I'm following this thread VERY carefully in case I've messed up yet again!

Will do, I may write a brief review - if I remember!

Just checked 365 and they are cheaper for the kit I was getting.

200p

Chesire

32mm panaview

£390 :(

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced planetary eyepiece? I want to avoid having to get a Barlow for the 10mm. So a 5mm would be ideal.

For high power I like the x-cel 5mm and the baader orthoscopic 5mm.

I can see slightly better views with the baader over the x-cel but it has a narrower field of view.

I slightly prefer the BGO because the quality of the view is really excellent. I recently picked up the 5,6 and 7 BGO's and they're nicely spaced out for different conditions.

Archived