Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tal x2 Barlows have gone AWOL, what else?

Can't for the life of me find a Tal x2 Barlow in stock. And most distributors saying either July or they don't know when for a re stock of them.

What else is advisable to get instead in the same price range? This will be for my 150P DS which I just ordered last night eventually.

I have a GSO/Revelation Astro 2x barlow that I'm quite happy with. I think that's about the same price as the Tal. I can't recall where I purchased it at the moment. They do a 2.5x as well, which I've used a fair bit for imaging Mars this season.

James

I picked up a Revelation 1.25" 2.5x 3-element barlow in the FLO clearance sale recently. I've not used it much for observing as it's main intended use is for barlowed laser collimation but it seems quite decent optical quality.

I picked up a Revelation 1.25" 2.5x 3-element barlow in the FLO clearance sale recently. I've not used it much for observing as it's main intended use is for barlowed laser collimation but it seems quite decent optical quality.

I've just been using the above barlow with an 8mm Ethos for a 3.2mm 100 degree FoV eyepiece. Rather amazed to find Saturn very sharply defined (ED120 = 281x :() and it stayed so right across the FoV. Only downside is that it swallows up a good deal of inward focus.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've never actually looked through mine other than for aligning a target for imaging. I've been very pleased with it from an imaging point of view though. I'm not that sure I could tell the difference between it and the Ultima 2x (or 2.4x :( at three times the price.

James

Astroshop.eu had them in stock, but I think I picked up the last one.

Now the inventory status is: 1-2 week delay

Still, worth contacting them to ask, if you can't find it elsewhere.

Archived