NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barlow Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a good barlow? I want a 2x and I have been looking at the Skywatcher delux 2x barlow, but have heard mixed reviews about it. Has anyone used this or can recommend a another? Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi tjr. I got myself a Tal x2 last month and have used it in conjunction with my 10mm eyepiece, which some feared may not be useful, but I have had some amazing and very clear views of Saturn using that combo.

Also used it to split some of the more tricky double stars. Very pleased with my choice.

For the money the TAL is great. The Skywatcher deluxe is not great, I had one and compared it to my TAL and my Revelation and it was markedly poor in comparison to both. The Revelation isn't a bad barlow but the TAL is better.

Has anyone tried the Astro Engineering x2 Barlow as per this link? It looks an interesting proposition with the built in T thread etc? :clouds2:

Hhttp://www.astro-engineering.com/prod/telescope-accessories/barlow/aesupreme/AC710.html

I don't recall it being any better than say a TV (cheaper) or a TAL (much cheaper!) ...

Think there's a certain amount of paying for the t-thread on that particular item.

I've just purchased a Vixen 2x Barlow, complete with T-thread and, a Vixen 12mm lanthanum eyepiece. This purchase has not only taken my interest and viewing pleasure to a whole new level, it has helped get my son excited about setting up the kit.

I may only be viewing with the aid of a Celestron Astromaster 130mm reflector but, with the magnificent full moon we've just gotten the pleasure of seeing and, a Philips web cam, my son has taken a major interest, something I've been trying to encourage for years.

Can anyone recommend a good barlow? I want a 2x and I have been looking at the Skywatcher delux 2x barlow, but have heard mixed reviews about it. Has anyone used this or can recommend a another? Thanks.

Gary.

+1 for a TAL 2x barlow. I have one and in conjunction with my eye pieces it gives good magnification whilst retaining a lot of sharpness and contrast...

It was with the TAL and the 6mm TMB that I managed to glimpse the Cassini line of Saturn's rings. With a 5.1" reflector that should give you an idea how pleased I am with the TAL 2x barlow...

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Barlow from the Revelation EP set I have, it's a 2x one and to be honest it's the most disappointing part of the kit....does anybody have any experience with the Tal and the Revelation? I'm looking to upgrade but would like some opinions if it's a big step up.

I have a Barlow from the Revelation EP set I have, it's a 2x one and to be honest it's the most disappointing part of the kit....does anybody have any experience with the Tal and the Revelation? I'm looking to upgrade but would like some opinions if it's a big step up.

I've got a TAL 2x and one of the new Revelation 2.5x apochromatic barlows and find they both give excellent results.

My 150p came with the Skywatcher 2x Deluxe Barlow. Sent it back because the visual quality through EPs was extremely poor. Paid the difference and got the Tal 2x instead, improvement from day one. Worth paying the extra.

Archived