Hello from near Glasgow!

RosscoMac

Hello all!

I've been pointed towards this site from a gaming forum of all places as some of us share a love of the stars! ;)

Having loved the night sky for all my life I finally decided a few months ago to join the astronomy club proper by getting a decent telescope. The more I looked into it all though the more confused I got with the choice available!

Finally after going through many decisions I've settled (I think!) on the Celestron CG-5 mount and the C8-N GT to go with it. I'm sure there will be many more additions afterwards but I'm hoping that will be enough for now to begin with.

I have a Sony DSLR which I hope to use for some astrophotography too but it will probably take me a while to get into that until I'm used to the scope.

Just waiting for First Light Optics to get the set in stock. They have it listed at £729 I hope it stays that way when back in stock as I can't see it that cheap anywhere else and it seems that is the online store of choice anyway. :eek:

So yeah, that's it. No doubt you'll be hearing from me soon with hundreds and hundreds of annoying amatuer questions. :mad:

Cheers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you thank you! ;)

I should say I'm actually working in Norway right now and at times the sky is just beautiful here! A few weeks back there was one clear night in particular I got back from work at midnight and just stood outside looking up for ages. The aurora borealis was out in full flow and Venus (I think!) was so unbelievably bright.

Wish I had a scope with me here to be honest. Too much cloud in Scotland for when I get home.

Hello Rossco & welcome to SGL. If you love stars and are working there you are a lucky person indeed. Only seen the aurora (partially) once before so I'm jealous ;)

Hi and welcome from me great scope choice you have made as for the annoying Qs ,ask away people love a challenge that other throw at them,and what ever it is some one will,be along to answer you that is for sure so ask away

Cheers pat

Welcome to SGL.

Lovely bit of kit which will satisfy your needs for many years.

Also big enough to piggyback an ED frac and guidescope setup on when you wish to dabble in AP further

Thanks for comments. I'm glad my choice has received some positive remarks. It was more than I originally intended to spend but after reading more and more about the mount in particular I thought I had to go for it and can always add upgrades in future as people have said. ;)

Archived