NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M13

estwing

well the clouds started to clear about 7pm so gambled on wheeling the dob out (the moon was coming up a little later tonight)but when i got outside around 10pm the cloud hadn't completly gone,so with the gaps and still air, quickly scanned for m13 and got it! my its fantastic in a 16mm (x95) threw more mag at it but the high cloud wasn't playing ball.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Globular clusters really shine as aperture increases. It was looking great through a 12" Skywatcher at the SGL7 star party at 250x - resolved pretty much to the core ;)

funny i put 267x at it but struggled to get it focused same at 381x..i blame hazy cloud and the moon..then the wind got-up shame really as it was my first view of it and i was damnned enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!

M13 has a 'tick in the box' for me but only viewed it under LP skies with my 8", it almost looked like a faint fuzzy rather than a globular cluster!

Looking forward to seeing it again in better skies with my 12" (do you actually think thats going to happen one day? :roll eyes:).

funny i put 267x at it but struggled to get it focused same at 381x..i blame hazy cloud and the moon..then the wind got-up shame really as it was my first view of it and i was damnned enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!

381x is a bit over the top unless the conditions and optics are absolutely top notch. The 250x I described above was delivered with an Ethos eyepiece under very good conditions and a well collimated scope.

Another lovely globular cluster in Hercules is M92. It's more compact than M13 but resolves well and is another lovely object ;)

Globular clusters really shine as aperture increases. It was looking great through a 12" Skywatcher at the SGL7 star party at 250x - resolved pretty much to the core ;)

M13 is one my favourites,it looked amazing that night at SGL7 John.

M13 is one my favourites,it looked amazing that night at SGL7 John.

It's going to be even more "wow" with your 16" Mat :eek:

I viewed it a couple of years back with a 20" - mind boggling ;)

the main reason for moving up appeture for me was the prospect of seeing more of these glob's in more detail. love them.

unfortunatly they look rather dull above clouds !

I'm hoping for a globular fest on Fri/Sat around Ophiuchus, looks like theres some real stunners in there.

Oh also want to carry on around the Coma B and Virgo galaxy area and take my first look around Sagittarius.

Not asking for much am I? :clouds2::icon_scratch:

It's going to be even more "wow" with your 16" Mat :rolleyes:

I viewed it a couple of years back with a 20" - mind boggling :clouds2:

For sure. Try around 300-350x :icon_scratch: with your 16" you're in the core.

Looking forward to having a gander with my new scope once it's up n running.:headbang:

For sure. Try around 300-350x :clouds2: with your 16" you're in the core.

Looking forward to having a gander with my new scope once it's up n running.:icon_scratch:

Saturday night is looking promising so hopefully I will get the chance to put it though it's paces.

the main reason for moving up appeture for me was the prospect of seeing more of these glob's in more detail. love them.

unfortunatly they look rather dull above clouds !

Fingers crossed for the weekend: it is looking more promising.

It'll be interesting to see how much more detail you can get with your new scope over your 90mm (?). I am not quite ready yet but hope to go from 5 inches to 10 inches in aperture at the end of this year.

At the moment, only the very brightest globulars are resolvable in their outer regions.

Fingers crossed for the weekend: it is looking more promising.

It'll be interesting to see how much more detail you can get with your new scope over your 90mm (?). I am not quite ready yet but hope to go from 5 inches to 10 inches in aperture at the end of this year.

At the moment, only the very brightest globulars are resolvable in their outer regions.

yeah, my plan is to set both scopes up, should be fun. i wasnt going to move up in appeture untill after xmas, but i saw such a bargain it had to be mine :clouds2:.

im looking foward to some better nights so the reports forum kicks in to life again . been quiet as to be expected with the current weather.

cant wait to report back with my 8" findings .

I'm hoping for a globular fest on Fri/Sat around Ophiuchus, looks like theres some real stunners in there.

Oh also want to carry on around the Coma B and Virgo galaxy area and take my first look around Sagittarius.

Not asking for much am I? :clouds2::rolleyes:

chance would be a fine thing mike !

:icon_scratch:

I am not quite ready yet but hope to go from 5 inches to 10 inches in aperture at the end of this year.

Whereabouts in Kent are you?

You're more than willing to come over and have a butchers through my 10" Dob if you want.

Give you an idea of what views you'll get if you decide on a 10".

:clouds2:

Whereabouts in Kent are you?

You're more than willing to come over and have a butchers through my 10" Dob if you want.

Give you an idea of what views you'll get if you decide on a 10".

:clouds2:

Thanks, that would be interesting. I am in Cliffe Woods, a village on the Grain peninsular, North of Medway. Not an insurmountable distance by any stretch.

I believe that such an aperture would allow me to see galaxies / stars another magnitude and a bit down under comparable conditions but it would be useful to get an idea over resolving globulars etc.

Archived