NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M13

estwing

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love this globular,you should check out the Galaxy ngc 6207 very close to it,you can get it in the same field with a low power eyepiece.

Thanks for the heads up on NGC 6207. I picked this one up tonight with my 10" newtonian. It's just in the same FoV as M13 with my Ethos 8mm (150x). A new one for me :clouds2:

Thanks for the heads up on NGC 6207. I picked this one up tonight with my 10" newtonian. It's just in the same FoV as M13 with my Ethos 8mm (150x). A new one for me :clouds2:

I think this is what I read about in an interview with the authors of "Turn Left at Orion" a month or two ago. One of them lined up the scope on the galaxy while keeping M13 out of the field of view and - not mentioning M13 - invited the other to take a look, who dutifully said "yes, yes, quite a nice galaxy" or words to that effect. Then the first one casually suggested nudging the scope to the left and was rewarded by an astonished gasp from the other one as M13 appeared. This from a very experienced observer who had obviously seen it many times before - just goes to show that things don't necessarily lose their magic as long as you're not expecting them.

Tom

Was out looking at some globs last night... M13 and M92 were stunning at 140x, so after reading everyone's posts I'll have to try at higher powers (although I'm fairly poorly LPed).

Also had a squint at M3 and M5 (comparing the view with the C6 from last week) and M10, 12 and 14 in Oph, the latter being noticeably harder to see from my LP skies. Rounded the evening off with IC 4665 as it was in the neighbourhood :icon_scratch: It just made me think I'm going to need something wider for the C11 :clouds2:

The clouds are rolling in but after reading this thread yesterday had a look at M13 again with more mag. tonight. Now as stated, globs are a wonder but not with 4" aperture! But had a glimpse of it's glory and some idea of what could be resolved in larger instruments.

At 143x it was like a cloud of soup but speckled with stars with more appearing as your eye caught a glance - a surprisingly fine sight. It was a bit like a open cluster in a haze and will be better when higher up in a darker sky...

andrew

Archived