Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope info - SW 8" & 10" Newts

I have sent an email to FLO requesting the overall dimensions and weights of these scopes so I can see how big a scope I can get in my obsy and how much room there will be round it. I'll post the info when I hear back as I think this info could be helpful to others. I find it strange that none of the several supplier of SW scopes put this info in their descriptions. As usual I intend to buy the scope from FLO whom I wholeheartedly recommend.

(I hope this post and the info I get later will be acceptable by Admin - also hope is it OK to praise FLO on here. I was surprised to find that asking for the info on here wasn't - I have no intention of contravening any rules here or in any way upsetting anyone.)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The information I have to hand (Google) suggests

200P : 10KG (ish) : 1200mm (ish) {Seems right as I used to own one}

250P : 12KG (ish) : 1400mm (ish) {Deduction as it's f/1200}

I'm sure FLO will give you more accurate values though :)

Reading things in a hurry is never good, the 200P I proposed was 10KG not 12KG so the weight of the tube rings and such probably accounts for the difference between 8.75 and 10 :)

My estimate on the 250P is obviously way out in that case!

*goes back to sleep*

I'd have said around 9kg for the 8" but I didn't realise that the 10" OTA was that heavy although I've not owned one for a long time. My Orion Optics 10" F/4.8 is just 10kg so rather a lightweight by comparison.

(I hope this post and the info I get later will be acceptable by Admin - also hope is it OK to praise FLO on here. I was surprised to find that asking for the info on here wasn't - I have no intention of contravening any rules here or in any way upsetting anyone.)

I read your original post before it was removed. I'm genuinely surprised, not to mention a little concerned.

My 200P is boxed up at the moment, but if you're missing anything useful in terms of weights, measurements or photographs by all means let me know. I should be able to dig it out after the weekend.

If I had a clue when I'm going to be over your way next I'd happily bring it over so you could try it out for size. You're not far from Upottery, are you? If we've not received notification of a new toy before I'm over that way next I'll pm you. I got the impression you plan to buy fairly soon though.

James

I read your original post before it was removed. I'm genuinely surprised, not to mention a little concerned.

My 200P is boxed up at the moment, but if you're missing anything useful in terms of weights, measurements or photographs by all means let me know. I should be able to dig it out after the weekend.

If I had a clue when I'm going to be over your way next I'd happily bring it over so you could try it out for size. You're not far from Upottery, are you? If we've not received notification of a new toy before I'm over that way next I'll pm you. I got the impression you plan to buy fairly soon though.

James

Thank you James :) Actually, I don't think I shall be buying for several weeks at least - more if I go for the 10" :)

Almost 15kg before ancillaries is a fair bit of weight to lift up on top of the mount when you're trying to secure it, too. I think I'd only really want to do that if I had some sort of sling to take the weight whilst I fiddled with the clamps.

Eyepiece height may be an issue, too. Unless you can stand on the floor and reach the eyepiece, using steps may turn out to be awkward.

You're not tempted by a 10" dob instead? Could be lifted out of the obsy and sat on a couple of blocks to provide a stable base...

James

I'd have said around 9kg for the 8" but I didn't realise that the 10" OTA was that heavy although I've not owned one for a long time. My Orion Optics 10" F/4.8 is just 10kg so rather a lightweight by comparison.

Are the OO's aluminium tube ? I'm just wondering how they keep the weight down.

I have a screw in the roof rafters that I attach a block & tackle to for lifting the mount so that can be used for hoisting heavy scopes too. More to the point is the load on the mount and physical size of the OTA. Height of focuser for observing doesn't apply - I only do AP but could be awkward if I needed to get at the camera. There could be a problem with the water cooling too. I'm going to have to do some careful thinking.

Since your main interest is AP are you not considering the Skywatcher Quattro newts? The 8" ones are relatively short but the steel one do still weigh the same as a 200PDS I believe. However, you do get f/4 focal ratio which I suppose can be a good or bad thing depending on whether you are up to the challenge of collimation.

Ahh, I see. I didn't realise you wanted it just for AP. There's an unpleasant disparity in price, but if that's the sole purpose would the Quattro scopes make a better choice?

James

Since your main interest is AP are you not considering the Skywatcher Quattro newts? The 8" ones are relatively short but the steel one do still weigh the same as a 200PDS I believe. However, you do get f/4 focal ratio which I suppose can be a good or bad thing depending on whether you are up to the challenge of collimation.
Thanks for the thought - I'll look into them :)

Are the OO's aluminium tube ? I'm just wondering how they keep the weight down.

The tube wall seems to be a bit thinner than the Skywatcher which might account for the difference :)

I thought the 10" was closer to 11 or 12kg. I can weigh mine when I get home later and post the info.
Thank you - that would be very helpful :)

Actually, I'm by no means sure of which type of scope to go for next. I guess the ideal would be a nice big APO but that's precluded by the price unfortunately. I could do with a longer focal length for the smaller DSOs and for planetary for that matter - which I have some interest in. Must have another read of Steve's book.

There are a number of items on my wish list and I'm trying to work out which I want to buy next. A focal reducer/flattener for my ED80 is on the list but I think can wait until the big galaxies and nebulae show themselves again. Better cameras are on the list too but I feel I haven't got all I can out of what I've got yet. An Ha filter would be nice etc, etc...

Archived